I need a new shaving brushes Help!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
chris1978

I need a new shaving brushes Help!

Post by chris1978 »

My Edwing Jagger shaving brush in large super badger is getting falling out the hair very often. I decieded theat I need to get a new shaving brushes. I want to get a medium size not large. I was thinking of getting Vulfix 2235S medium or Rooney style 1 size 2. I only use for the shaving cream not the shaving soap. I have a hard time finding the right one. I do know that classicshaving.com has rooney and vulfix but I can't tell the difference of the size of the loft, width, total height in mm not inches. I'm very confused about this. I'm looking the right price to buy in which online store to get.

Can you tell me if this is correct info for the vulfix brushes for the 223xx series: Small 2234S, Medium 2235S and Large is 2236S. which is one medium size. I don't know anythig about the Rooney brushes. Are they popular? Can you tell me all about the loft sizes and what are the inches sizes are? I don't understand this.

About Shavemac, it too expensive but Vulfix and Rooney are the right choice, right?

I need help please! I was planning to get it next week or so.

Chris A
ShadowsDad

Re: I need a new shaving brushes Help!

Post by ShadowsDad »

Can you post a picture of the brush and where the hairs are coming out? Or just a description of where in the knot they're coming from would be helpful.

I can't help with Vulfix, I have 1 Rooney and it's a fine brush. It's a 3/1 SuperSilvertip measuring 22x46 (the knot). It's a fine face lathering brush. I thought the longer handle might be an issue, but it isn't.

Which leads me to this question. Do you face lather or bowl lather?

There are also synthetic brushes and they are actually very good today. They are not identical to badger since they work differently, not worse, just differently. The prices are quite reasonable and they won't degrade. They also have more backbone than a similarly sized badger. I like todays synthetics a great deal. Just a few years ago I couldn't conceive of me ever writing that. If you're interested in a synthetic the Muhle and Franks Shaving feel most like badger, but understand that they work differently. Don't soak, or even dip deeply into the basin of water, a synthetic. They act like a sponge, then they deposit all of that water at the slightest touch. A slight dip into water is OK. TGN has good syn' knots with gel like tips.

Personally I think you can make just as good a brush for much less $. I don't know if you've considered a brush you assemble. The Golden Nib has excellent knots for reasonable prices. I built a 20mm Finest Fan on a used handle and I don't think I paid much over $20. That brush is one of the best in my cabinet.

Not interested in making your own brush? For a small fee TGN will assemble a knot and handle for you. Yes, TGN has handles too. I think TGN gets $5-$10 (I forget the fee) for gluing the knot into the handle of your choice.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Brian, that's a good suggestion, especially if one knows what he's looking for in a brush. I've had great results using quite a few of TGN's knots in old handles. Just in case anyone's not familiar with the acronym TGN, it stands for The Golden Nib,
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Chris, for specs on the the Vulfix brushes just head over to http://www.vulfixoldoriginal.com they should have everything you need. The 2233/4/5/6 Super Badger series is a great line of brushes.
Good shaving,

Gary
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

Chris, do you want a soft brush, or a firmer one with some scrub? Also what's your budget?
~Matt
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

Well, My Super badger brush is from Edwin Jagger is large 23mm knot and it has few hairs shedding in few days ago and also few weeks ago has 1 or two hair fall out. I really like the brush I brought it in I think 2007 or 2008 don't remember exactly. I use the shaving cream to lather the shaving bowl and then lather on my face. I did bit research aroung the site and has few shaving sites has vulfix shaving brush #2233, 2234, 2235, 2236 series. I decieded to get Vulfix 2234S 22 mm knot medium size super badger. Do you I make self the right choice.

I don't understand this about the mm sizes and not to measured the inches or cm. I'm confusing. I check the site and it say for the vulfix super badger #2234:

Handle height: 50 mm

Overall brusch height: 100 mm

Knot diemeter (at base): 22 mm

don't they give out the correct info for each shaving online business or tried to meaured the ruler?

Rooney super brush style 1 size 2 (medium) is getting little expesive. price went up little bit.

Anyone who has medium size brush, what do you think the medium size instead of a large brush? I don't want to get a large size.

Chris A
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Chris, the Vulfix 2234 in Super is a great brush and will work well with both creams and soap, having one myself I feel it is as big as I would ever want to go in a brush. It seems to have no trouble making whatever quantity or quality of lather you prefer. This range of brushes seems overlooked but does have a very good reputation amongst many shavers. For size and quality, this brush is a pretty good bet.
Good shaving,

Gary
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Chris, I face lather and I prefer a mid to small size brush generally. An exception to that would be in modern synthetic brushes.

As for inches vs cm... 10mm = 1cm. 23mm is an easier way to write 2.3cm. And inches, forget it. You'd need to measure with a caliper and use decimals down to maybe thousandths. That would be easiest, but not easy. Or use a fractional caliper and express the fraction. One might wind up comparing fractional 128ths versus 32nds. Using metric is easier and far easier to understand at a glance. If you want to very roughly convert mm to inches in your mind 1mm roughly equals 1/10 inch. That's very rough.

I have a Vulfix 2234 boar and the handle is very nice. I don't have a badger.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Simpsons Duke 2.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

I think that you will be very happy with the vulfix 2334.
~Matt
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

I will buy Vulfix 2234S medium brush soon. I think it going a great brush. Well there are few site that sell Vulfix shaving bruhes out there but different prices. Right now West Coast Shaving the Vulfix 2234 and 2235 is out of stock. Maye I'll buy at bullgoose shaving or vintage blades LLC or classing shaving. I was searching around in the pass three days.

By the way, Why Rooney brushes are not popular anymore? why is so expesive now? like $99?

Chris A
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, I think you will like the Vulfix brush. I just checked, and these brushes are currently in stock at The Superior Shave. This is one of the best USA based vendors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I always do Phil first because he is not only a good vendor but he also keeps a presence here at smf, and for that he gets first dibs on my bizz.......superior shave is excellent.....my low bank account is proof hahahahahaha

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

Funny that you mention the rooney thing, Chris. I remember they were all the rage over at b&b about 5 years ago, then after that they weren't mentioned as much. I bought a heritage stubby 2, in the old 3 band hair at that time and boy I hated that brush. Thing was just too dense for me; wasn't easy to use. I ended up gifting it to my father in law. Wish that I had opted to buy a 3/1 in finest with an ivory handle instead, which were also available at the time. Oh well.
~Matt
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

I have to wait next month in March to buy the new Vulfix 2234 because of the food shopping and pay one bill for AT&T wireless and little shopping at the mall. I just almost made it to buy the brush. Oh man I have to wait next month. I can't believe it the food shopping cost $429. I pay the half it on my food stamp debit card and the other half is my own debit card. I live with my parents and haven't been out of work for almost 7 years and get paid both S.S.I and S.S. every month. I only buy foods for family and pay one bill for my cell phone plan and that it. I'm always check my bank account how much money left over then I buy something else. I'm Disabilitly and Hard of Hearing wering Hearing Aid. How hard to live that being a person? I almost made it to buy the shaving brush and now I can't.

Any ideas? Am I not alone?

Chris A
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, I think you'll like the Vulfix. If you lather creams in a bowl, as many do, the Vulfix is a very efficient latherer. It is not well suited to face-lathering, however.

- Murray