Simpson Super

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
daniel051

Simpson Super

Post by daniel051 »

Gentlemen, I've decided to purchase a Tulip 3, and must now choose the hair. Does anyone have experience with Simpson's current offerings? More specifically, what's the difference between three-banded and two-banded super, the latter of which, I take it, is now called 'silvertip'? I've narrowed down my options to these two, having excluded the lesser grade of best, and the Manchurian. Thank you for whatever assistance you may provide.

Kind regards,
Daniel
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Simpson Super

Post by Squire »

I know when choosing a high end brush we want bristle to match, or at least I do, but in looking back over the years darned if Best grade hasn't served me as well as any.
Regards,
Squire
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I have a three band T2. The bristles are extremely soft on the face and very flexible. The packing of the knot is on the dense side, so the brush isn't floppy, but not so densely that it doesn't release lather. The knot does splay a bit, but so badly at all. I haven't tried a Tulip in 2-band but have an Ehsan that is 3 years old. Those bristles are a little less soft on the face that the 3-band, but still very soft. The knot is stiffer but a large part is due to its shorter loft. I can't really think either is a bad choice, although I will say that for some reason I prefer the T3 for creaMS.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Thalay Sagar wrote:I have a three band T2. The bristles are extremely soft on the face and very flexible. The packing of the knot is on the dense side, so the brush isn't floppy, but not so densely that it doesn't release lather. The knot does splay a bit, but so badly at all.
That's my assessment too for my T 2. I find it an excellent brush for face lathering with creams. I can't comment on the 2-band.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

darned if Best grade hasn't served me as well as any.
17 thumbs up on the sentiment

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen. I'm still unsure which hair to choose. Perhaps I can put the question differently? The only recent Simpson in my stable is a Duke 3 Manchurian. Its superlative flow-through and backbone appeal to me; on the other hand, it can be rough towards the end of the shave, when the brush has but little lather in it. I'd like for the Tulip to exhibit the Manchurian's good qualities, while feeling softer on the face. From your comments, do I evince that three-banded Super would suit me best?

Kind regards,
Daniel
Last edited by daniel051 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Squire and Clive, I take your point. The question then becomes, would contemporary Best satisfy my tastes, as stated in the previous post, better than the other grades? I'm open to all possibilities, frankly; I find it hard to decide because the differences between grades are unclear, perhaps because descriptions are subjective.

Kind regards,
Daniel
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Daniel, unfortunately the only way to answer your question is buy the brush and see if you like the way it performs for you. Worst case scenario you sell it on one of the forums / ebay etc

Over the years Ive bought a ton of brushes and only one of them i regret owning. I could easily use any one of them daily for the rest of time. All this to say that for all intent and purpose, the money you spend on a brush will not be wasted. if you think you'll spend time regretting buying the best even if the best is best for you :D the extra cost of the super is cheaper than any psychologist will evah be hahaha

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Clive, thank you for the good advice; however, to quote Gordon, buying sprees are like classic Freudian analysis: they end only when the money runs out. :D

Kind regards,
Daniel
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Still, the itch doesn't stop.
Regards,
Squire
vpayne

Post by vpayne »

I would recommend the two band because Simpsons current batch has very soft tips with excellent flow and better backbone. I recently purchased a CH2 in two band and was surprised that it had these features. Based on your preference and experiences, I don't think you would regret it.
SAID JULIET TO ROMEO, IF YOU WON'T SHAVE, GO HOMEO.
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

My most recent Simpsons are P8 best, CH1 best, and M7 2 band. The M7 is a wonderful brush with softer tips than my other Simpson 2 bands. M7 2 band is a great choice for a versatile higher end brush.
Last edited by rexcarolus on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Yes to the 2-band Super LE versions. The only problem is either waiting for a particular LE to show up on their website, or trying to special order one (or two). I've been in that holding pattern since late last year.
Ron
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

I should have mentioned that I prefer my M7 to my Tulip 3 2 band. If you are going to order custom, I would recommend M7.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

M7 is one of the choices. So are a re-do of the Ehsan, the Douglas, and the Grosvenor. All except the Grosvenor show up occasionally in the LE section. There were some beautiful cream Manchurian Colonels available recently but they sold out quickly, and I'd rather go with standard 2-band Super.
Ron
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

I have a two banded t3. It's a stunning brush. When I first got it, I hated it. The hair was very stiff, scrubby and dense, but once I broke it in and and got to know the brush it because one of my favorites. I"m sure you won't go wrong with whatever your decision is.
~Matt
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Thanks. I've had LE's from a few years ago. The Ehsan was particularly nice, and without the start-up troubles you've mentioned with the Tulip. I understand the 2-banders that Simpsons is currently sourcing are consistently excellent. If the factory offered a low-lofted 57 LE this minute, I'd jump on it (never had a 50-series brush).
Ron