Kent BK4

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
rsp1202

Re: Kent BK4

Post by rsp1202 »

Wendell, you've already got some good brushes. You don't need a Kent to get a satisfying shave, so save your money.

Reverse psychology in action. :D
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

:wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Ron, you're right, Wendell doesn't need a BK 4, but he sure as heck wants one.
Bryan
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Bryan, he just thinks he does. It's easy to be swayed by all the stellar reviews, but Wendell's an old pro who is weighing all his options and biding his time. He will not cave! There's just as much chance the handle won't fit him or the knot will be too floppy, coming from his past experience.*

*See what I did there? More psych stuff.
Ron
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Then we'll just have to resort to the Vulcan mind meld.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Now, now, Wendell must find his own path.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:Ive offered wendell my bk4 afew times and each time i get the big NO-NO-NO. Ive quite trying :lol:

clive
Yes, I am trying to stay in control.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Johnny, Glad to hear that you're enjoying it but truly I would have been surprised if you had not. The Kent BK4 is one of those rare shave items that most of us agree is excellent....not everyone, mind you, but the large majority of SMF members who have sprung for one are glad they did. To me, it's just a superlative all around shave brush; moderate sized, good looking, very well made, and equally excellent with either soft creams or soaps. When I initially received mine I was thinking of it mainly in terms of creams but it turned out to also be one of the very finest hard soap brushes I've ever used regardless of price. I've had mine now for several years and it's barely lost a hair.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Closing my eyes, removing my hearing aids, plugging my ears ..... hum-de-hum-de-ha ........

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

So a BK4 walks into a bar and says, "Hey, anybody seen Wendell?"
I'm sure you can handle the temptation.

Don't want to forget that this thread was about Johnny's new brush. Good luck with it, Johnny.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We're looking for Wendell in a bar? He must be worse off than I thought.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

bernards66 wrote:Johnny, Glad to hear that you're enjoying it but truly I would have been surprised if you had not. The Kent BK4 is one of those rare shave items that most of us agree is excellent....not everyone, mind you, but the large majority of SMF members who have sprung for one are glad they did. To me, it's just a superlative all around shave brush; moderate sized, good looking, very well made, and equally excellent with either soft creams or soaps. When I initially received mine I was thinking of it mainly in terms of creams but it turned out to also be one of the very finest hard soap brushes I've ever used regardless of price. I've had mine now for several years and it's barely lost a hair.
Regards,
Gordon
+1
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

I like mine so much that I bought a spare.
~Matt
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Very commendable Matt, can't be too cautious.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Has Wendell cracked yet?....poor fellow...he's really making this harder than it has to be. From the UK these BK4s really aren't all that pricey....and with all that MWF soap just lying around waiting to be lathered....know what I mean?
Regards,
Gordon
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

I just recieved the "back up" bk4. As you can see, it has a much more marked fan shape as compared to my first one. Btw, the reason I got a back up was because I dropped the original one and chipped the handle. Seemed like a good excuse.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (42.72 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
~Matt
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:shock: , how does the new one compare as far as lathering etc goes?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Your new BK4 looks like that after lathering, or it's that way out of the box?
Ron
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Whoa, both my BK's (BK12 - approx 8 years old - & BK4 - approx 1/2 year old) are bulbous shaped instead of fan shaped. I wonder if the fan shape is a more recent development as my BK4 was purchased from an obscure vendor who probably had older stock (though my BK4 has the same logo configuration as yours while my BK12 has the older logo). I'm finding that I *think* the bulbous shape is more pleasing to my face with most any lathering technique. My most recently acquired T&H Turnback with the very dense knot (compared with it's older siblings) is also much more bulbous and I prefer it a lot.

Both the BK4 and the most recent turnback seem to have very stout bristles compared to their older siblings yet they seem softer on the skin. I am coming to the conclusion (maybe erroneously or perhaps not) that this is due to the bulbous shape as they are much shorter lofts (though not in the case of the turnbacks) due to the size.

Anyone else notice this or have a similar experience?

Chris
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

It hasn't been used.
~Matt