Kent BK4

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Mr.Max

Re: Kent BK4

Post by Mr.Max »

The idea was to keep a pristine extra just in case of whatever. I may have to go catch a shave with it though just to compare.
~Matt
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

EL Alamein wrote:. . .
Both the BK4 and the most recent turnback seem to have very stout bristles compared to their older siblings yet they seem softer on the skin. I am coming to the conclusion (maybe erroneously or perhaps not) that this is due to the bulbous shape as they are much shorter lofts (though not in the case of the turnbacks) due to the size.

Anyone else notice this or have a similar experience?
I've had and sold three BK4's in order to get something as soft but with firmer backbone, and the replacements have always been a Savile Row. I never compared hair, though I'd bet the Kents' were finer -- but the SR's chunky bulb shape really added to the extra firmness I was looking for without giving up anything in the way of softness. Post-2010 SR's with the shorter lofts were comparable to the BK loft.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Matt, I'm pretty sure that your new BK4 will bloom out with use. If it doesn't, well, then it will be a different kind of BK4 than the ones many of us have.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Mr.Max wrote:The idea was to keep a pristine extra just in case of whatever. I may have to go catch a shave with it though just to compare.
I would like to offer up what you may consider a personal sacrifice of some shelf space in our bathroom or my home office for storage purposes. I am sure, you don't have enough space in your home for this extra brush. Besides, you need an off-site backup service to make sure you are 100% risk free of "whatever" happening. 8)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

jww wrote:
Mr.Max wrote:The idea was to keep a pristine extra just in case of whatever. I may have to go catch a shave with it though just to compare.
I would like to offer up what you may consider a personal sacrifice of some shelf space in our bathroom or my home office for storage purposes. I am sure, you don't have enough space in your home for this extra brush. Besides, you need an off-site backup service to make sure you are 100% risk free of "whatever" happening. 8)
Excellent Disaster Recovery plan!
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

Gordon, I'm sure it will bloom quite a bit too. Actually I was google searching for bk4 images and my new one looks pretty close to one that Richard used have that he posted a shot of along side a rooney style 2. Mine with the newer logo, of course.
Wendell, gee thanks for your generosity! Lol. I'm going to whip up some Mitchell's wool fat for today's shave with my bk4 in your honor. As you know, the two are meant to go together :)
~Matt