restorers - a question about paint

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
function

restorers - a question about paint

Post by function »

Is it safe to assume I want to paint before I add the new knot? I cant bear the thought of getting paint on my new knot.

Also, acrylic enamel is the way to go? The handle is an old ever-ready resin handle, all of the paint peeled right off when I steamed out the nasty old knot.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
brothers

Re: restorers - a question about paint

Post by brothers »

Nick, definitely before adding the knot. Far too much risk of damage. I haven't painted one, but I do have a couple of wooden ones that I've been considering for a repaint/color change. I do have a question - I haven't encountered a painted resin brush. How would it look if you just use extra fine sandpaper and polish to clean it up and go with the original look? If I was repainting I'd explore the possibility of adding a final coat of CCA for durability and shine, if the paint I use is compatible with CCA. Pictures of the process and the completed project would be eye-candy for sure. Good luck with the project!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
function

Re: restorers - a question about paint

Post by function »

This one is a pretty cheap resin, definitely a drugstore budget brush. I do plan to sand it a bit just so the paint looks good, but the resin itself is a soft white resin that you could dent with your fingernail if you tried hard enough. I will consider the clear coat, supposedly this pain is designed to resist some heavy use, but we will see.

It was originally a two-tone paint job, but I plan to go solid gold.

Pics will follow in time, I promise.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.