Is BK4 good with soaps as well ? Need a not-so-dense brush!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
gr_elias

Is BK4 good with soaps as well ? Need a not-so-dense brush!

Post by gr_elias »

Hello folks, long time to see you!

After being the last 6-7 years a wetshaver, it seems that the BK4 might fullfills my expectations! I am using mainly soaps and I was wondering if this brush could deal with the soaps.

Before 5 years I bought a Shavemac D01 brush with a 24mm knot. Believe it or not, this brush haven't lost a single hair and yes, I use circular motions. It is very luxurious to use this brush but it is a lather hog. The only solution that I found is to put more product in order to release the lather more easily. With soaps due to the bulb shape and the softness of the hair I have to put more effort, even from my first, cheap, pure badger brush that I bought for 13 euros. This pure badger brush is floppy and prickly but does an amazing job generating lather with both soaps and creams! It looks like a Tweezerman brush Mantic was using in his videos, and pointing out the value for money. The only drawback is the lack of the luxurious feeling I get with my Shavemac.

Therefore, it seems from the research I did that the BK4 fullfills my standards. It is floppy (which I like actually), luxurious, not a lather-hog (?) and does a good job with soaps. Do you agree with this? Kent BK4 has a 23mm knot and I realised from my 24 mm knot Shavemac, that for highend brushes maybe a 20mm is better, but this depends on the density as well. Any suggestions and comments are welcome!
Regards,

Elias
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Is BK4 good with soaps as well ? Need a not-so-dense bru

Post by jww »

Ah yes -- another BK4 thread to remind me that I still don't own one .... yet. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I use my BK4 with soaps (Tabac, triple-milled DRH Marlborough, Cella) and creams (TOBS, Speick). It doesn't bite into the soaps like a boar brush would but it does pick up product without a problem and makes great lathers with everything. Thirty seconds on the triple-milled puck and I'm ready to go.
Ed
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i like the size of the bk8 better than the 4. does a great job
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

The bk4 is one of the best all around brushes available IMO.
~Matt
brothers

Post by brothers »

Elias, it's good to see you back among us! The BK4 is a good all-around shaving brush. There's just something about it that seems to work right.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Elias, Yes, definitely. Originally I envisioned my BK4 as being mainly a 'cream brush' but as it turned out, if anything, it's even better with the hard soaps I use ( Trumper and D R Harris mainly ). In fact it is, IMO, the very best 'soap brush' I own with the sole exception of that Plisson #12 EW Plexiglass number that I recently acquired. From everything you wrote above I would think that a BK4 should meet your needs admirably.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes Elias, the BK4 should admirably suit your needs.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

My old BK4 was one of the finest soap brushes I've ever used. The specimen I had a year or so ago was good with soaps, too, albeit scritchier than the one I owned previously. I find less dense brushes better all-rounders in general than their well-packed counterparts, and I generally don't enjoy overstuffed brushes anymore.

Put another way, there's nothing the BK4 can't do, and few things (if any) another brush will do better.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good way to put it Tim.
Regards,
Squire
gr_elias

Post by gr_elias »

First of all thank you all for your replies!

Tim, I couldn't agree more. Shavemac is a very dense brush, built like a tank and has a luxurious feeling. However, you must use much more product in order to release the lather, and time in case you are lathering a soap. Back then when I wanted to buy a luxurious brush, watching some videos with big brushes and creams made me so jealous. Therefore I convinced my self to buy a bigger knot, but I didn't know that it will be so dense!

Nevertheless, I find my self picking my cheap pure badger brush more! And since I want a bit of luxury in the ritual, I thought why not give a try to Kent BK4 as its successor. It has the same characterists, from what I read, as my pure badger and hopefully it will add some luxury!

I concluded to keep my Shavemac only for creams and use it when I want that King's shave!
Regards,

Elias