Not a brand name

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
mervyncadman

Not a brand name

Post by mervyncadman »

Hi all, my shaving brush as I say it's not a brand name as I make my own shaving brushes, the brush hair is a best Badger 21mm knot with a 55 loft although I set these in the blank to give a 50mm loft making it a slightly stiffer action...that’s my preference anyway.

Below is the type of brush I use... as the chefs say! Here's one I made earlier, the handle is made from a Polyester resin with a brown pigment, sort of representing old grained Ivory

Mervyn
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Not a brand name

Post by Squire »

Very nice Mervyn, well balanced proportions and looks comfortable to hold.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Very nice Mervyn, well balanced proportions and looks comfortable to hold.
+1
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Now that is one great looking brush. And from what you tell us it is a great performing brush for you.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Very nice, I like the resin.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Mervyn how resistant is this stuff to damage, if dropped for instance.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I like the resin also. Nice brush!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
mervyncadman

Post by mervyncadman »

Hi guys and many thanks for the very nice comments, to answer any question about toughness of the resin... this is funny one really! I cast a lot of resin blanks and in various sizes, I have dropped a few blanks over time on my concrete workshop floor most of which did not break because of the way they fell...on the end of the blank, the odd few that did break fell flat along the length and broke clean in half, this has only happened only on the 25mm blanks, on the 40mm x 65mm blanks mainly used for the brushes I have never had one or sold one that broke, now what I will say is if you were to drop say a razor in the sink while shaving it’s not going to brake... drop it on a tiled floor then it might do.

The resin is mixed with a catalyst hardener with a 1 in 10 ratio a 2 in 10 ratio will cure quicker but the blanks will be more brittle because of the hardener that goes into the resin I believe in keeping the ratio down taken a little longer to cure but not so brittle.

this pen I made some while ago was dropped on floor at a craft fair by customer to my horror I thought it had broken the blanks now taken into consideration that wall thickness is 0.5mm thick supported by a two brass tubes in the centre of the blanks that hold all the parts together, not a mark or blemish #-o

This is another website of mine where I sell the blanks to the trade and other craftsman...mainly for the pen making craft
http://www.ukpenkits.com

Mervyn
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mervyn, your expertise with the resin and the handles is impressive. I'm sure you get a lot of satisfaction when you make a pen or razor handle that others will take home and be proud of.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Very nice pen Mervyn. Fly tying motif?
Regards,
Squire
Batman9402

Post by Batman9402 »

Wow fancy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Love the looks of this stuff .... well done.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?