SHAVEMAC FANS?/LONG STORY

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
JRTASTER

SHAVEMAC FANS?/LONG STORY

Post by JRTASTER »

If you are familiar with and like Shavemac brushes, please bear with me.
My 2 favorite brushes are a Somerset Simpson Duke 2 Best and a Chubby 2, also best.
The Duke 2 certainly gets the most use... love its very dense but gentle knot and its
famous shave soap lathering properties.
Bad news... recently dropped it on the tile floor and oops cracked it right where the
handle meets the knot. I'm sure water is already beginning to seep in and will eventually
attack and destroy the glue cementing the knot...goodbye knot/brush
Have inquired about a "repair" and/or placing the current hair into a new handle; neither
option at a reasonable price seems practical. So in the near future it's either replace the
brush with another Simpson OR another similar high-quality brush.
A Shavemac (probably a "custom"???) is one alternative to be considered. From what you
guys know about Bernd/Shavemac is he capable of building me a brush which will match
or surpass a Duke 2 or Chubby 2 in super density, stiff, but "comfortable" badger, in the
equivalent of Simpson 's best or silvertip??
If so, what should I be specifying or looking for? Will Bernd be offended, or worse, confused
by my narrow-focused comparison to Simpson brushes and their badger hair definitions?
I recognize that cost will be a major consideration, but I will be able to evaluate that only
after a specific brush is eventually agreed upon.
What say ye Shavemac fans (or even detractors)? I realize that Rooney and of course
Simpson and others make great brushes, but for now I want to concentrate on Shavemac.
Thanks for your thoughtful input.
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: SHAVEMAC FANS?/LONG STORY

Post by Squire »

I should think Bernd is up to the task, he has come through for others. Good luck with your quest.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Thanks, Squire. I think so too but want to make sure I am able to communicate my requirements to him
without offending/confusing him... especially considering his first language isn't English and I am still
humiliated by my performance in my college freshman German course.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

At least you passed the course. Mark Twain said something along the lines that German was the only language where you could strangle on a verb.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I think you'd get different answers depending on who you ask, but for me, the Shavemac 3-band D01 is your best bet for what you are describing. The Finest grade hair, while comparable in terms of its blend of scrub and softness, is not so densely packed as the D01 knots. Silvertip is too soft, plush, lovely to use but not much like Simpson Best. D01 2-band is quite stiff, sometimes scritchy, and so dense as to be almost unusable (depending on your preferences). I did have a D01 3-band that was a touch scritchy, but I've come across more than one Simpson best that fits that description, too. The other D01 3-banders I've used have been magnificent, and remain in the top tier of all badger specimens I've owned (alongside one of the first run of Rooney Emillions some years back, a couple of Somerset Bests, and a Lee Sabini-made Rooney/T&H silvertip).
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

When I read the title I expected a discussion of fan-shaped vice the usual bulb shaped badger head. Shavemac does make fan shaped which to me is what the Duke 2 has. I think you could request a fan-shaped with extra badger and a handle of choice from Shavemac. Shavemac also lets you customize the badger. I have found the Silvertip to have nice soft tips.

http://www.shavemac.com/products/Expert ... ELECT.html
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

From my own experience with Bernd, Shavemac gave me amazing service. Fair and reasonable prices, extremely prompt service and shipping from Germany, and the workmanship proves that Bernd is a highly skilled and knowledgeable craftsman. It's obvious he loves brushes, and he knows what he's doing as well or better than anyone else. I had a problem with an expensive brush. Wrote him a respectful email, asking if it was a project he was interested in, and promising him I was looking for a solution, and would have no hard feelings or unreasonable expectations if the project wasn't possible. He immediately wrote back to say he was interested. Within just a couple of weeks or so, the finished product I received caused me to become a committed customer for life. Tell him what you want, and he'll tell you what he can do. Thumbs up for Bernd and Shavemac!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Tim, Ron, Gary...
Great input, thanks!
Am still collecting my thoughts and will probably bite
the bullet sometime after April 15, as Uncle Sam's
input is a major factor too!
John
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh yes, our benevolent uncle does factor in.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Re: Shavemac, I bought a mystery box two years ago. Among the goodies was a Shavemac 220. I like big brushes and didn't know what I had until I measured it and it's a 65mm supersoft silvertip loft. The handle just feels perfect in my hand. This is right up at the top of my stuff with the Rooney Finest and the Plisson. It's just an everyday working brush, still listed on Bernd's website. There's no cream or soap that isn't blown away by the Shavemac.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Keep us posted John.
Regards,
Squire