Custom DEset - Thuya and Stainless Steel

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
mervyncadman

Custom DEset - Thuya and Stainless Steel

Post by mervyncadman »

Hi all hope you're all well, I wanted to show you all what I have been up to lately with a new custom made shaving set I have done it's made from Thuya Burr and Stainless steel, the set is not finished yet as a little more turning on the handle is needed then both the wooden parts will have several applications of lacquer applied, then to be hand polished once this has been done and I'm happy with the finish I will then assemble all the parts, then a final polish will done.

Each part of the brush handle and the razor have been hand turned on my metal lathe and the wood lathe, the DE razor has a final that’s been turned with a bar that runs up the length of the Thuya handle this was then tapped and threaded to take the end final, I wanted to make it this way so that I could complete all the turning then for me to be able take the Thuya handle apart to then be lacquered all over... as with the brush handle too. I may put a 26mm knot in the brush handle.

I have also spoken to an engraver to have some wording put on the Stainless shoulder of the brush... maybe something like...The Saxon!
The brush has some serious weight to it and the DE handle has had weight added to it via the Stainless Steel bar the runs up the centre.

Thuya wood (pronounced twee-ya) is from the Thuya tree (Tetraclinis articulate in Latin, this biblical tree is a conifer from the cedar family, and is exclusively native to Morocco.

Anyway thanks guys for looking and would love to hear comments good and bad and I will answer any questions you may have

Just wish the razor head was Stainless Steel.

Regards Mervyn Cadman

Maybe my logo engraved on the base... not sure yet.
brothers

Re: Custom DEset - Thuya and Stainless Steel

Post by brothers »

Mervyn, you do good work. The color of the wood is warm and the metal shows substance.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh yeah, go with the logo.
Regards,
Squire
mervyncadman

Post by mervyncadman »

Well thanks guys! This was a lot of work trying to figure out the best way to make this set mainly on the razor as in the way it had to screw together because I wanted to turn it as if it were finished but then too have it so that i could spray the lacquer all over the wooden sections

Mervyn