Mühle STF Long-term review

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Re: Mühle STF Long-term review

Post by brothers »

Johnny wrote:
brothers wrote:Johnny has done some research into these brushes and I understand Jagger makes the fibers and sells them to Muhle for their Silvertip synthetic brush. I have the Muhle, the Jagger, and the HIS 1794 synthetics. I've been using them pretty much exclusively for a few weeks. The Muhle and the Jagger are very similar, of course. However, the Jagger has a bit larger built-in bloom and due to the differences in firmness of packing, knot size, etc., even though the Muhle and the Jagger have the same loft, the Jagger's handle is a bit taller.

Gary, that is the other way around. Muhle makes the fibers and sells them to Jagger under contract.
Yeah, I got it backward. Thanks for catching that one Johnny!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I hadn't used my Muhle STF V2 since returning from holiday 3 weeks ago until this morning. I must say that I've gained a new appreciation for this brush. It seems to have more face-feel than I remember (I lather exclusively on my face) and makes very rich and slick lather. When I first started using this brush it took me a few shaves to figure out that I had to use a slightly different lathering technique with this brush than I use for my badgers and boars. Now that I have this figured out it's a great brush and a little less soulless than I initially thought.
Bryan
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

CMur12 wrote:Brian, what size knot do you favor for Muehle black fiber brushes?

I got the HJM with a 20mm knot, but it doesn't splay well. I'm wondering if knot size might play into that.

Thanks -

- Murray
Murray,
I believe that all of the ones I've used were 21mm knots and I don't think they make anything larger.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro