Synthetics / Rooney Finest badger

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Synthetics / Rooney Finest badger

Post by brothers »

Having read some mention of synthetics compared to animal hair brushes, I decided to bring out my Rooney Finest and add it to the 3 brush rotation of the XL synthetics. I'm searching for subtle and not so subtle differences, if any, between the biggest and the best. They're all about the same size knots, in excess of 60mm. The skritchiness is noticeably absent with the soft tipped synthetics, but not so with the Rooney. I had forgotten how prickly it can feel, when that sensation has been completely absent for a few weeks using synthetics. The Rooney was very thirsty for more water during the shave. More water in the capable hands of the Rooney will result in one thing - a ton of lather. Those badger hairs are invincible when it comes to holding water and turning it into lather. Painting the lather onto my face after building it in the bowl didn't feel much different than the syntetics. I'm going to pay attention to that in future shaves over the next few days. I'll face lather with the Rooney tomorrow night instead of using the bowl. I want to see how a badger compares to the synthetics in this regard.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Antique Hoosier

Re: Synthetics / Rooney Finest badger

Post by Antique Hoosier »

The synths are HOT right now. I have zero interest in one. I prefer badger or even a great vintage boar. These are the only two brushes I own. Simpson Tulip 1 in Super of course...an amazing brush..one of the best I have ever owned...and occasionally a vintage N.S.Y. Boar I purchased from a forum member in March of 2007.
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Michael, the Rooney Finest probably invented face lathering. The brush was dry. I ran about a quarter inch of very hot tap water onto the top of the soap, then loaded the Rooney on the watery soap for the standard 15 seconds, then built the lather on the face. The resulting lather was abundant, and the big Rooney had no trouble giving up the appropriate amount of lather and holding onto the remaining lather just waiting for me to come get some more whenever I wanted it. Three full passes with a lot left over. I was having so much fun, I nearly forgot the hundreds of little stickers jabbing into my skin as the brush happened to acquire the proper angle of attack. The post shave bloom on this brush is worth the price of admission. Now I remember why I have this brush. Now I also remember skritchy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Antique Hoosier wrote:The synths are HOT right now. I have zero interest in one. I prefer badger or even a great vintage boar. These are the only two brushes I own. Simpson Tulip 1 in Super of course...an amazing brush..one of the best I have ever owned...and occasionally a vintage N.S.Y. Boar I purchased from a forum member in March of 2007.
Being completely cold to synthetics myself not very many years ago to being quite enthusiastic about them today...

I'm not trying to be argumentative or to sway you over to the petroleum side, but I continue to embrace all the various fibers for what they bring to the shave. That includes synthetics. FWIW, I think my rotation might start with the badgers tomorrow. Yup, I still like those as well. Just because I have room for synthetics doesn't mean I like badgers or boars any less. Same as I don't have just one friend.

Are synthetics badgers? No. Are badgers synthetics? No. Each has their own characteristics. I have a place in my cabinet for them all. I've written it many times; I really enjoy the variety. But I must say that EVERY time one of my miniscule brushes show up in the rotation I wonder (every time!) if the tiny brush can actually do the job. I refer to the 'Lil Bambino and the Wee Scot specifically. Yet each time they pull it off. You'd think I'd just relax and use them by now, but I swear I go through that apprehension every single time.

OK, so having written that I quite understand what's been written about synthetics having no "soul". A really good synthetic today has absolutely no variation in the fibers. Maybe that's the answer... include other fibers into the mix to make them feel less homogenous. Natural fibers aren't all the same, so mimic real fibers by throwing in a few that don't quite measure up by just a little bit. It wouldn't be difficult to do. Sort of like the badger/boar hybrid knots.

Won't that make describing synthetic knots difficult! Pure synthetic vs Best synthetic vs Silvertip synthetic. OK, so it'd be just like badger classification today; completely up to the discretion of the manufacturer. But I bet synthetic hybrid knots would have soul at that time.

Enough speculation.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

I should add that the Rooney is virtually irrreplaceable, and the price I paid for it is more than the combined price of all 4 of my synthetics. Price sells, and as Michael says, the synthetics are selling right now, and they are proficient at doing what they are built to do. So far, none of us are saying one is better or worse than another. It seems counterproductive to declare better or worse regarding these choices because their characteristics and knots are not the same, and it would be accurate to say they are different.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Fads come and go, Badger is still the standard.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Squire wrote:Fads come and go, Badger is still the standard.
And you forgot to mention: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I love my trusty badger and boars and don't need some other "fad" brush to make my day!
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Generically, I wouldn't say I'm a synthetic fan but then again, generically, I'm not a fan of best grade badger or silver tip either. I do like the Muhle STF, Plisson and the original HIS and could be happy using one. I've also found some badger and boar hair I like quite a bit. At the moment I have 2 badger and 2 boar and I'm content with them and don't think I'd be could happier with any other brushes. I'll save my money and buy more soap.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

It's always good to have options. We may not always be able to get badger hair for brushes, or at the very least, it may become scarce and very expensive. With this being a possibility, I think the development of good synthetics could become increasingly important. Synthetics are also a great option for consumers who wish to avoid products that required the slaughter of an animal. It's all good.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Murray, I think a badger shortage may be in the offing. I remember catching hints of that on one of the forums. That is, that badger hair is becoming more difficult to obtain, or was it good badger? It was awhile ago that I read it.

Simpsons is incredibly busy and yet they begin to work with synthetic. There has to be a reason beyond the money.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Brian, there have certainly been rumblings of this for awhile. As you already know, the supply is based entirely on Chinese badgers that are killed in the wild and I wouldn't be surprised if they are killing ever more of them to keep up with increasing demand. That might explain the lack of certain qualities of badger hair that you referenced.

We have certainly seen a lot of products disappear or be changed into something less desirable, while new products appear. Even in this hobby, we need to accept change and even prepare for it. (Of course, in my own case I already have a lifetime+ supply of everything already. :D )

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I agree. Same here. If I buy nothing more I have more than enough for my lifetime. (I wanted to make sure that I'd never go back the hated cartridges!)

I'm presently in soap reduction mode and I've found that soaps last an incredible amount of time when trying to use them up! My heirs will have soap for shaving; and blades, and razors; and brushes.
Brian