Omega 10051

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
pausted

Omega 10051

Post by pausted »

I like to face lather both soaps and creams. The little Omega boar 10051 (23 knot, 51 loft) is a terrific face lathering brush. At less than 10 dollars, one would be hard pressed to find a better brush at any price. Takes a while to break it in but then you will love it. I'm gonna use it tomorrow morning.
Best regards,

Basil
Oscar11

Re: Omega 10051

Post by Oscar11 »

Right around 50mm for loft seem to be a magic number on a lot of boars. Unfortunately you can't find any of the larger diameter boars with shorter lofts. My favorite brush at the moment is a Omega 50107 knot (25mm) set at 52mm (factory loft is over 64mm, IIRC). I agree, I enjoy face lathering with boars. They're very nostalgic for me, I started wet shaving with them over 40 years ago and they just feel right to me.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

You'll get nothing but agreement from me. I love Omega boars and approximately that loft. Of course it isn't immediate gratification, but takes some breaking in.

But question, did yours take just one or 2 lathers to break in? The last few Omegas I've bought seemed to be broken in at the factory. In the past they'd take quite a few lathers to break in. Lately it's been the initial lather and the tips are split.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have always quite like my 10098 which I bought on a pure lark a few years back as it was on sale. It's large as life, and produces outstanding lather directly to the face. I like the quirky look of the 10051. Enjoy.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
pausted

Post by pausted »

Brian, I have two 10051's and have had both for a couple years. They both broke in at about the same rate. I seem to remember that it took 25 or so lathers before they were well broken In with the ends nicely split.
Best regards,

Basil
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I was just curious. Lately from what I've experienced and others have written, their Omega boars are broken in after the first lather. It must be something the factory is doing. That's not a typical boar brush characteristic. In the past it would take me quite a few lathers to break one in as well.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ShadowsDad wrote:I was just curious. Lately from what I've experienced and others have written, their Omega boars are broken in after the first lather. It must be something the factory is doing. That's not a typical boar brush characteristic. In the past it would take me quite a few lathers to break one in as well.
I have an Omega B&B Essentials boar, and I must say that right from the first shave the brush didn't feel as though it needed to be broken in, which surprised me.
Bryan
funman

Post by funman »

Thanks for the info!