Synthetic +50 years > badger or boar + 50 years

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Synthetic +50 years > badger or boar + 50 years

Post by brothers »

I picked up an old stinky badger brush at the antique store today (the red one) and it started me to thinking. I have a theory that a synthetic brush will not deteriorate over time as severely as the natural hair (badger or boar) brushes. I don't have an old synthetic bristle brush to compare, so I've staged a photo below to show what I think the brushes will look like in 50 years, if I were to have taken a picture of the HIS surrounded by currently made badger and boar brushes. The only unknown here is what the synthetic will look like, the known factor is what these old badger and boar brushes look like after the passage of 5 or more decades. Am I off base here, or is there some or any truth to my theory?

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Synthetic +50 years > badger or boar + 50 years

Post by Squire »

The only truth I can see is none of us will be around 50 years from now to make the comparisons. I can say that I have seen quality badger brushes with 30+ years of service still in great shape but not all saving brushes are born equal and that cheap old brush you got was probably a dog from the beginning.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:The only truth I can see is none of us will be around 50 years from now to make the comparisons. I can say that I have seen quality badger brushes with 30+ years of service still in great shape but not all saving brushes are born equal and that cheap old brush you got was probably a dog from the beginning.
Point well-made and taken. Those old drugstore brushes probably have been subjected to some hard use and neglect over the years. One could say that brushes aren't born at all, they're made by folks who have to go find and buy animal hair of the quality needed to make brushes their customers will buy, use, and be proud of. Badgers, hogs, and horses aren't born equal for sure! My main point is the inherent basic differences and characteristics, i.e. durability of the fibers, organic (natural) and synthetic. Not to mention the costs of procurement involved and the current and future availability of animal hair. I think current and future buyers might theoretically be tempted to disregard animal hair shaving brushes when they are shopping for a shaving brush. We are, as it has been regularly pointed out, frugal and careful shoppers when it comes to wanting to save money on shaving supplies. Just my opinion, of course.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I think current and future buyers will purchase the best brush they can afford which is genuine economy considering how long a quality brush lasts.

Will a synthetic outlast natural bristle? Sure, don't see why not, nor do I see how that matters since the kids are just going to use them to dust a keyboard anyway.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I think you're correct. Squire, I also think you're correct.

I have yet to see any of my synthetics change in the slightest.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not to say they won't though Brian, I don't trust stuff that's an imitation of something else.
Regards,
Squire