Simply "boared" with brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Antique Hoosier

Simply "boared" with brushes

Post by Antique Hoosier »

I really hate boar brushes. I have had my dalliances with them over the course of the last 7 years. First the big Omegas, then the workman type Semogues. Add an occasional use of a vintage boar I bought of a forum BST in early 2007, it has never left me, sort of a symbol of simpler times when I first discovered this all. I have owned countless Simpson, Kent, Vulfix, Plisson, and Thater brushes. All are gone or soon to be gone (last Thater being sold on eBay). I have pretty much lost all passion for brushes. An $8 shipped Omega PRO Barber #48 has been what has pulled lathering duties for a bit of time now. Not to say I haven't had a few badger brushes in shopping carts online recently, never actually pulling the trigger. Shavemac Americana, various Simpson, Savile Row et all. I have simply lost all my passion for both brushes and the high price tags that come along with sourcing them. I don't know what will shake free and produce a suitable replacement for the ones that I have sold over the years. Perhaps a return to my old time standard of brushes, the Duke 3 by Simpson? I have had a Duke 3 in my den for the better part of the past 7 years but alas no more. Really would like a nice face lathering brush to put this "boaring" use of Omega to rest. Nothing seems to turn me on though as I scour the net and forums for ideas. The rest of my shave den is filled with all my favorites except for the brush. I know that brushes are probably the most personal decision that any shaver makes. I used to have such a horrible case of SBAD, I never was at a loss of shaving satisfaction when it came to the tools that most of us find so essential to the enjoyable process. I am at a crossroads. Directions anyone? La Toya shave stick and face lathering is 90% plus of my routine lately but I do enjoy an occasional Trumpers Coconut Cream, Blenheim Bouquet Cream treat as well. Make your suggestions. Shake my bad brush MOJO please!!!
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Simply "boared" with brushes

Post by drmoss_ca »

When there was a passion for boar brushes created by a certain ex-member of SMF, I tried to go along and used an Omega boar brush for a whole year. It worked, but not anything like as well as a decent badger brush. During that year I sold both of my Somerset Simpson Duke 3 brushes to wiser members who deserved what they bought. Since then I have used Somerset brushes as much as I can, and I have given away the entire box of Omega boar brushes.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Don't have one, don't need one, don't want one and have no plans to acquire one.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Oh, I dunno Michael. i wonder what your other options might be. Some of those of us who have bought, used, and reviewed (here and elsewhere) other options will probably take the bait and eagerly suggest those options of which you're fully aware. (Plisson, Jagger, Muhle, Simpson and Omega all make and sell them.) I'll just be watching and waiting to see how it unfolds. Whenever I really get bored with brushes I happily use the non-lathering creams. It's all good. Hope you're not getting burned out. Good luck.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

As someone who enjoys the variety of most brush fibers I guess I really can't help.

Too, I suppose I lost the gist of what you're looking for. Toward the end I thought you were about to say you were going to finger lather since most brushes were found wanting.

Good luck in your quest; wherever that quest leads you.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Antique Hoosier

I really meant to say that for LACK of finding what I want, I am stuck with my Omega 48. Looking for one simple BADGER.
Mike
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

I've come to the realization that I'm as happy with a boar as anything. I sold my Shavemac's, a DO1 3 band and a DO1 2 band and have a couple of TGN badger knots for when the urge strikes but it seldom does. I've been using some short lofted boars that I made and I'm happy with them. Boars have a certain tactile feel that I enjoy. Good luck in your search.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

What qualities do you like in a brush?
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Antique Hoosier

Oscar, maybe you and hundreds of Italian barbers are correct...simple boar. I used to not blink an eye at dropping $150 plus multiple times a year chasing badger. I just don't feel like doing that any longer. Tempted to snag a used BK4 for the 6th time in 7 years....I like the way it floppily handles soaps.
Mike
Antique Hoosier

Brian, I seek comfort and utility.
Mike
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

No, no, no. This is the way to go:

Nothing says shaving like burlap.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Antique Hoosier

Chris.... I don't think my "manifold" can take that. No shave cloths for me. I have pulled out the Omega 49 to replace the 48 for a few days. Tending to just take a wait and see attitude on any changes or additions to the den.
Mike
Aaron622

Post by Aaron622 »

Probably not your cup of tea, but maybe give a Muhle synthetic a shot. They perform better than any badger brush i've used at a fraction of the cost. All I use now (of course I do have 4 of them).
Antique Hoosier

Aaron...I appreciate your suggestion and I for about 4 seconds considered a L'Occitane Plisson synthetic but I have to stay natural and prefer badger ultimately but am going to pull out the Omega 49 for this coming week and see if I can deal with the pure simplicity of it with La Toja and Cella primarily
Mike
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

I used to not blink an eye at dropping $150 plus multiple times a year chasing badger. I just don't feel like doing that any longer.
I hear you. I do the same thing with soaps. I have a cabinet full of excellent soaps and don't get a lot of satisfaction out of them. There are times I wish I would have spent my money on vintage Williams instead. It's a soap I used for years and was entirely happy with it. It's hard to believe but true.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I was going to suggest a synthetic also.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I was not going to suggest a synthetic because you don't seem to be leaning that way.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

What about the Simpsons Duke you referred to?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

My only piece of "wisdom" would be: when in doubt, return to your roots. I know exactly what you're going through and look forward to your final resolution.
Ron
Antique Hoosier

Wendell, the Duke is probably not an option. It has been a mainstay for years but I have put that thought away for now. I used the Omega 49 with Cella this morning and it performed in quite the utilitarian way. For this week I will use it and see how it turns out.
Mike