Simply "boared" with brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Antique Hoosier

Re: Simply "boared" with brushes

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Great advice Ron! You know where I am coming from exactly. My first REAL brush was a Simpson CH1 in Best and it knocked my socks off compared to the old boar I had. Probably wouldn't choose it again though. I have been through literally 50 plus brushed in 7 plus years. Many really stellar. Many quite "meh". Not looking for my Holy Grail among badger, but rather a workhorse brush regardless of knot...just NOT synthetic because I am still quite traditional. I will use the Omegas for awhile and see if the pure utility satisfies.
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Good luck.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Antique Hoosier

I pounced on a Forum BST deal for a T&H branded Rooney 1/2 in faux Ivory tonight. I had previously owned a Rooney 1/2 in faux horn and sold it in a "downsizing" earlier this year but with some regrets. I will report on it when it arrives. Purchased it for $63 shipped so I felt I couldn't pass it up since I had such a good experience previously.
Attachments
t&h2.jpg
t&h2.jpg (737.26 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
t&h1.jpg
t&h1.jpg (705.83 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
Mike
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Michael, I wish I could get a decent lather with a boar brush, but I just can't. After reading posts here I got the hots to try a Semoque boar and should have saved the 30 bucks. Never a decent lather. If you want a cheaper badger alternative, I am using an Omega black best that does the job a lot better than the boar for about the same cost.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah, Chris, I tried to dissuade you, to reason with you....even used one of those boar brushes for a whole month ( okay, so you had to bribe me to do it...but still ) all to no avail. I was convinced you'd regret selling off those Somerset Simpsons...just sorry that I didn't grab one of the D3s...sigh. Anyway, live and learn and all that.
Regards,
Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, Well, it's up to you but it seems to me the simplest and wisest course would be to just get another Duke #3 and call it a day. You know it worked very well for you and it'll last for years freeing you to not have to concern yourself with the 'brush issue' which you now find to be a drag.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Michael, my take on this is that you are still plagued by SBAD, now complicated by a minimalist urge.

In my case, the quest for the perfect brush is what triggered my own SBAD. I'm not sure I have found outright perfection in a brush, but I know what I want in a brush, I have some brushes that I like, and I'm sticking with them. I have had too many expensive disappointments in brushes, so I'm not inclined to try any more.

If I were in your place, I would do much as Gordon suggested, get a brush that you know works for you, and stick with that.

This appears to be driving you crazy, so I wish you a peaceful solution.

- Murray
Antique Hoosier

It is a different level of SBAD I agree. One by one purchasing and discarding with use of boar in between seems to be the pattern of the past 6 months or so. I will see how this T&H branded Rooney 1/2 works for me but will certainly consider the Duke 3 which is a familiar and proven one.
Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, Well best of luck then. Try and let go of perfectionism and rest content with 'very good' ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Come to think of it (I wouldn't have thought of it) that T&H Rooney may just be the answer.
Regards,
Squire
Antique Hoosier

Squire wrote:Come to think of it (I wouldn't have thought of it) that T&H Rooney may just be the answer.
Hope so...it should be arriving in my mailbox soon...holding off my shave until it arrives. Gordon is most correct....quit seeking perfection and enjoy the very good choice(s)
Mike
Antique Hoosier

So, as updated in another thread "review" of sorts of my unsatisfying use of the T&H Rooney brush, I await my traded for Kent Bk4, prepared to bin the boar brushes in my den. THEN, this morning I use the Omega #49 with a newly acquired puck of Edwin Jagger Limes & Pomegranate shave soap and it performed in an outstanding manner. I will also say the unconventional use of a less than traditional choice of soap added to the delightful shave. I tend to enjoy the more traditional soaps but gave the Edwin Jagger a chance and it was quite enjoyable. The Omega #49 seemed a perfect match for this medium. I guess it won't be tossed,traded, or trashed.
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Interesting about the Jagger Michael, thanks for the update.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

My son's been using the Jagger soaps for a few years now. I think they may be more popular than might be acknowledged within certain groups. I've been curious about their menthol eucalyptus soap for some time now, but true to form, haven't used it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Very underrated soaps, IMO. I like them.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Since I use a Jagger brush just about daily perhaps I should get a soap to match. Yeah, that's right thinking.
Regards,
Squire
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

Mike I've been using an Omega boar and shave sticks for the last two years a minimum of five days a week. Frankly I like it for face lathering. I use a Rooney or a Shavemac super badger with cream or a Somerset Duke 3 best with soap Sundays which is the only day I shave with a straight anymore due to a tremor I developed. This getting old calls for too many adaptations. I've simplified greatly and am down to ten straights and four brushes, although I have back-up Duke 3 and Omega boar brushes. I could only find one back-up Omega after Dr. Moss purchased the entire supply available in the free world :wink:
John
zeppelin55

Post by zeppelin55 »

I simply love my rooney style 1 size two. It is my favorite brush over the years, even though I haven't picked it up in a while it is still my first love.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Hawkeye5 wrote:Mike I've been using an Omega boar and shave sticks for the last two years a minimum of five days a week. Frankly I like it for face lathering. I use a Rooney or a Shavemac super badger with cream or a Somerset Duke 3 best with soap Sundays which is the only day I shave with a straight anymore due to a tremor I developed. This getting old calls for too many adaptations. I've simplified greatly and am down to ten straights and four brushes, although I have back-up Duke 3 and Omega boar brushes. I could only find one back-up Omega after Dr. Moss purchased the entire supply available in the free world :wink:
I've given all but two away since then. I suspect Gordon's isn't seeing much use. Or you can have mine. Anyway, it was only half a dozen brushes, and the world needed protecting against their takeover attempt.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

Michael, I've tried a great many badger and boar brushes as well. I wish that I had your inclination to dispatch unwanted items out the door. Unfortunately, I still own many nice badgers which do nothing but gather dust.

After a lengthy flirtation with boar, I stumbled upon Vie-Long horse hair brushes - they are just about all I use nowadays. My favorite is the Bullgoose LE 2012 natural horse hair brush. To me, it combines the resilience of a two-band Somerset Simpson and the softness of a Kent BK8.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”