Ever-Ready 200 Black and Green marbled handle

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Dr Dulcamara

Post by Dr Dulcamara »

Friends, here I introduce another restoration. This brush came from Mayville, Wisconsin, via Royal Oak, Michigan, United States, to Barcelona, with the help of a good friend there, last year. A few months after starting the restoration, finally has been completed and it is a gift for a friend in Geneva, Switzerland.

It has some scars. You will realise the passage of time. But that gives it character. The base is polished and glossy and that highlights his wounds.

Specs
Finest Badger Knot 23 x 50 mm (original knot was boar)
Handle diameters from top to bottom, 36-30-38 mm
Handle Height 57 mm (30 mm black part, and 27 mm green part)
Total height of the brush 107 mm
Total weight 68 gr.(Handle filled with polipropylene granules and epoxy)

Vendor pics

Cutting knots

Filling handles

Brush restored

Kind Regards. Juan, aka Dr Dulcamara. (Excuse me for my poor English. Is Google Translator)
brothers

Re: Ever-Ready 200 Black and Green marbled handle

Post by brothers »

Hi Juan. I have a question about the removal of the old worn out bristles. How do you do it? It looks like you've taped them tight and then cut them off with something at the top of the handle. Please describe your process for me, maybe I can do it like you. My process is pretty messy. I have taken a lot of them out by cutting the hairs off with scissors, then I drill them out and clean up the inside of the hole. I'm thinking maybe your way will be a better way.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

First rate work my man.
Regards,
Squire
Dr Dulcamara

Post by Dr Dulcamara »

brothers wrote:Hi Juan. I have a question about the removal of the old worn out bristles. How do you do it? It looks like you've taped them tight and then cut them off with something at the top of the handle. Please describe your process for me, maybe I can do it like you. My process is pretty messy. I have taken a lot of them out by cutting the hairs off with scissors, then I drill them out and clean up the inside of the hole. I'm thinking maybe your way will be a better way.
Optional, but it helps because it softens the bristles, is to wet the old knot.
After that, usually I use masking tape to avoid dust or dirty. Sometimes I use a flange.
Then, it is the time to cut with a kitchen knife.
After that, drill, some holes, a small rasp tool in an electric screwdriver 200 rpm max, and some little knife.
If needed for cleaning a bit of dremel, brass brush, or sanding drums, but I avoid dremel if I can. I prefer the drill in a table stand, at 250 rpm. Dremel is a tool not easy to handle and it spins too fast, a lot of heat, and very dangerous for the hands and the heat for old plastics and old rubber that melts.
Kind Regards. Juan, aka Dr Dulcamara. (Excuse me for my poor English. Is Google Translator)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thank you for the very helpful information. I'll look forward to making a few changes in the way I do my next brush project. This is a big help.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Dr Dulcamara

Post by Dr Dulcamara »

I have threads other restorations in other forums you can see the tools. When i have te time, i will post in this frum too. I,m here from short time ago.