Luxurious Brush Suggestion?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Books

Luxurious Brush Suggestion?

Post by Books »

A bit of history before I ask a question:

I've been absent for a while on the boards for a while. Life has been crazy hectic. To the point that I started using cartridges again (shudder..) because of time restraints. So most of my rotation has been gathering dust. I would pull out my Merkur and Omega 48 Pro when time allowed, both work very well for me. In order to get a better handle on my schedule I've decided to simplify my life.

I'm going to be selling my entire classic razor collection and stick with 3, My HD, Schick injector and an EJ Chatsworth. The HD will be for travel, the injector because they are my late fathers, so the EJ will be my daily razor. I'm working on weeding out the soaps and creams as well.

I am going to do the same with my brushes. In the past, I've used a Rooney Emillion, Simpsons Chubby 2 & a Kent BK4. I found the first 2 too dense and the Kent seemed to 'floppy'. But this was very early on in my shaving journey and my skills have improved so these aren't being ruled out.

In my current rotation I have a Rooney 3/1, Simpsons Duke 3, Shavemac 177, Omega 48 Pro and a synthetic for travel. I plan on selling all but the Omega(that's all I've been using lately).

Since I'm going to one day to day brush I'd really like something special. But not sure what to choose. I've done a little research and am leaning towards a Kent BK8, or Morris and Forndran(If still available). Or something along those lines. This will primarily be a cream brush and I don't think I would like anything bigger then the BK8's 26mm knot.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bob
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Luxurious Brush Suggestion?

Post by M6Classic »

Plisson European (white collar) or high mountain (black collar) white set in a plexiglass handle, #14-#16, if you can find one on the secondary market. Doesn't get any more special than that (as certified by all members of the cult).

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Bob, welcome back. My thoughts are a fine shaving brush is a thing of beauty and a joy to use. Having said that the two brushes I have used almost exclusively for the past several years (Jagger with the Georgian handle and a Kent BK4) are not the highest end brushs yet I have no plans to replace them. For me the bulk of those considered top of the line are simply too densely packed for my lather making style.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Buzz the Kent cult can out wrestle the Plisson cult any day.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Squire wrote:Buzz the Kent cult can out wrestle the Plisson cult any day.
True, Squire, but we will drown you with the gallons of water our brushes hold and we will bury you under mountains of lather!

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We can still beat the French in basketball.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have a big foam finger that says Plisson is #1. The suggestions made by Buzz are excellent.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

same feelings as you on the bk4. expected the same from the bk8 but was surprised. just enough backbone and loves the paint brush strokes. becoming my favorite brush.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
mineisanotherone

Post by mineisanotherone »

You may like to consider:

H L Thater 3band S/Tip 54mm loft with great backbone and very soft snowy white tips. Or if not for you a: Thiers-Issard 55mm loft 3band super quite dense with moderate backbone, beautiful soft tips............

Charles U.K
Nec Timere Nec Timide.
Shaving Mantra: Neither rashly nor Timidly.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Have you considered a larger Simpsons Polo in Super? Also there are two distinctly beautiful brushes for sale on the BST.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plisson-Europea ... 19f1271818

I generally think it is smarmy to re-post e-Bay sales, but to judge from the brush's description, the seller may be quite familiar with this board! Nonetheless, these are not seen for sale very often these days, but if you like a smaller brush...

Nota bene, I have used plexi set Plisson brushes exclusively since 1970 and I have never experienced this 'wiggling knot" issue, even after once leaving my brush fallow during five months travel.

Buzz
Books

Post by Books »

For now I've decided to try the Kent BLK8. Thanks for the input. I'll let you all know what I think.
Bob
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bob, you can't go wrong with a big soft beauty like the BLK8.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, if you can find a large Plisson Plexiglass handled HMW or EW, and you have the money, then, why not? It is, indeed, a unique and superb brush, IMO. Otherwise, a Kent BK8 should meet your requirements very nicely. I've never actually used the '8' although I've handled several of them, but of all my brushes my BK4 is most similar in properties and 'feel' to the Plisson Plexi #12 that I have. It's odd. Dry they feel quite different but in actual use, very similar. Either way, enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
mineisanotherone

Post by mineisanotherone »

A couple of noteworthy examples are from Simpson..............

Either a Tulip T3 or a Persian Jar PJ3 both in Super badger. Excellent brushes with Creams, Bowl or Face.

Charles U.K
Nec Timere Nec Timide.
Shaving Mantra: Neither rashly nor Timidly.
numerouno

Post by numerouno »

Luxurious ? Two names come to my mind. Thater and Savile Row. :mrgreen: 8) SR 3824 is out of this world !
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Books wrote:For now I've decided to try the Kent BLK8. Thanks for the input. I'll let you all know what I think.
And how are you liking the BLK8, Bob?
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage