Omega S synthetic brush - breakthrough or throwback?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Omega S synthetic brush - breakthrough or throwback?

Post by brothers »

Juan, owner of Gifts and Care, a well-stocked and well-managed web-based vendor in Spain, recently introduced his newly-stocked range of synthetic shaving brushes from Omega. I took an immediate interest in a handsome garnet colored Professional brush, and bought it. The total price, including shipping, was about $16 total. Shipped immediately, and delivered to my door in 10 days. I'll post photos later. Anyway, it's a good-looking shaving brush, resembling Omega's line of professional barber Boar brushes.

Now, to the point of my thread, a recent poster here on SMF remarked that he has a complaint in general against all synthetic brushes because they lack the familiar face feel which he found in the more traditional Badger and Boar brushes. I test lathered the big Omega S yesterday and shaved with it this morning. Now I can state positively, that it is not completely soft and pliable. It has backbone and a noticeable face feel, even to the point of being the tiniest bit scritchy on the face as do several of the other commonly used brushes which are appreciated for their face feel.

I believe this may be a breakthrough in the synthetic brush industry. This brush has the fast drying overall soft feel common to to synthetic brushes, but it also resembles commonly used Boar and Badger brushes due to these characteristics. I have been thinking about this, and it's my opinion Omega designed this new brush to emulate the large utilitarian Boar brushes that have made Omega famous.

In summary, I consider it a success in terms of price, size, and utility. I predict this range of brushes will become a standard in comparison to Omega's line of professional Boar brushes. Please remember to check back tomorrow to see the pictures.
Last edited by brothers on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Re: Omega S synthetic brush - breakthrough or throwback?

Post by ShadowsDad »

Interesting.

I'm one of those folks who doesn't expect a boar to feel like a badger, or a badger to feel like a horse, or a synthetic to feel like anything but synthetic. I either like a brush or I don't; it's that simple. Time will tell if the brush catches on.

As for me, I don't really like scritch because I spend a lot of time out of doors, and a tiny bit of sunburn and scritch just don't mix for me.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I understand a personal decision to avoid consumer products made from hide or hair but really don't see the point of an imitation brush when I already have badger. That's like buying a chevy when there's a Mercedes in the garage.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Badger brushes were created as a replacement for horse or boar. Albeit a mighty fine alternative. Successor might be a more fitting description than imitation. The gents on the shaving forums seem to enjoy the wide bounty of products as options. Quite similar to a woman and her beautiful shoe collection. This is evolution.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

ShadowsDad wrote:. . . As for me, I don't really like scritch because I spend a lot of time out of doors, and a tiny bit of sunburn and scritch just don't mix for me.
I'm in the same boat regarding scritch, with or without a sunburn. It reminds me a bit of how a non-broken-in boar brush feels. Or some badger brushes. I do realize that some guys don't mind it.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Here is the photo I promised. From left to right, Omega 20107 boar, Omega S Brush synthetic, and H.I.S. 1794 synthetic.

Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It's a nice enough looking syn'. What are the dimensions of the knot?

BTW, I like it when the manufacturer doesn't make the (IMO) mistake of trying to make it look like badger. That predisposes one to expect "badger", at least to my mind. How exactly does badger feel? (what grade and manufacturer? It's doomed to failure.)
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sorry, I should have listed the specs earlier.

Omega 20107 28mm x 62mm
Omega S Brush 28mm x 59mm
H.I.S. 1794 28mm x 61mm
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

brothers wrote:Badger brushes were created as a replacement for horse or boar.
Believe you've got that backwards Gary, horse and boar hair brushes were developed as cheap alternatives to badger even being dyed to imitate a badger appearance. That isn't evolution but is a sincere form of flattery.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

All countries first used badger brushes? They didn't use what they had on hand? I find that very difficult to believe.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The countries (Anglo/Western European) to whose shaving traditions we are heir, yes. I believe the modern shaving brush was developed in 18th century France and was called a blaireau the English translation of which is badger.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have read that in wikipedia. I have been known to get things backward, however. I see the synthetic shaving brush as successor to most brushes currently considered standard/traditional/classic bill of fare. I'm not a manufacturer, just a consumer. The ones whose vote counts regarding evolution are the big guns of the brush making industry, who are putting their money on the line to satisfy an obviously growing demand for synthetics. Only time will tell if they are on the right path. Actually the voters in this election are the customers, not the makers, who are only placing their bets on the outcome.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

OK, I'll buy that. That it was the first practical shave brush accepted after trying other fibers/substances.
Brian

Brutus

Post by Brutus »

I too believe that synthetic brushes have vastly improved in the last few years - simply because their first examples were just so terrible.

Looking for a brush for my overnight trips, I stumbled across a very positive Mühle Silvertip Fibre review, tried them and became quite fond of them.
They work well for me and I now use them regularly.

With respect to Squire's chevy vs. Mercedes comparison; for me its all horses for courses....
I might well have a S-Class Mercedes at home for well paved blacktop roads, but could still have some need for a more rugged vehicle to bounce around dirt roads in the boondocks.

Similarly; in my case it was the synthetic brushes' ability to quickly dry that attracted me in the first place and I was later positively surprised how far synthetics had improved in the years since I tried them the last time.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

It makes a heck of a lather, to be sure.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ShadowsDad wrote:Interesting.

I'm one of those folks who doesn't expect a boar to feel like a badger, or a badger to feel like a horse, or a synthetic to feel like anything but synthetic. I either like a brush or I don't; it's that simple. Time will tell if the brush catches on.

As for me, I don't really like scritch because I spend a lot of time out of doors, and a tiny bit of sunburn and scritch just don't mix for me.
My sentiments exactly. I have badger, boar, horse and synthetic brushes and I love them all. Each knot is unique and that's what I like about my collection. My Muhle Silvertip synthetic has turned out to be a wonderful travel brush because it dries very quickly and makes a great lather with my shaving soap stick. It's also in my day-to-day rotation and it competes very favourably with my other 25 brushes. My sentimental favourite is badger, but I must say that the one brush that never ceases to impress me each time I use it is my Omega B&B Essential boar. I must give an Omega synthetic a whirl.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I was originally taken aback by your posted knot dimensions, but then I remembered how large a synthetic knot can be and not be a problem. I have all the brushes I can tolerate in my cabinet and not a dog among them, so for now I'll just read about how you like them.
Brian

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I got to their site but could not switch to English. Since I don't know Spanish for synthetic I had to give up.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ouchmychin wrote:I got to their site but could not switch to English. Since I don't know Spanish for synthetic I had to give up.
Pete, Juan's SMF post here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53873 is in English I hope this helps!
Gary

houlejames

Post by houlejames »

Just got the S10049, new synthetic Pro, that is very similar to the Pro Boar I used to have. Only difference that I could tell is cheaper price $7.99 at Imperial Shaving/StraightRazor Designs, no funk and dries almost immediately. Also no break-in, what's not to like? Maybe not as much of a lather hog either. Great brush if you like a larger brush, which I do in a boar or synthetic, not so much in a badger. The synthetic bristles really mimic the boar bristles in the S-Brush models. I also got a S10018 for $5.99. The handle is really nice for that price and a more manageable size. I haven't used it yet but I think it will work out well based on the synthetic pro that I am using now. These are the first synthetic brushes I have used that seem more like a boar bristle than the badger, quite nice if you like boars and you can't beat the prices.