Omega 48 - it is what it is

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Omega 48 - it is what it is

Post by brothers »

The more I use this big professional boar brush the better I like it. Not that I didn't like it to start with. The bristles are all well split and there's no scritch. The big knot is bold and effective. It does what it does without compromise or weakness. It's said to be the #1 seller, and there's no reason to doubt that. It's cheap and good.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Antique Hoosier

Re: Omega 48 - it is what it is

Post by Antique Hoosier »

i have mine set out to use today as well
Mike
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

A great brush, IMO. I have a couple that I shortened the loft on a bit and I enjoy using them. Probably my favorite brush(es). Plus they're a tinkers dream.
Last edited by Oscar11 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Used my Omega 48 today with C.O. Bigelow ( Proraso) Shaving Cream. The BIG Omegas are a delight
Mike
gruffydd63

Post by gruffydd63 »

I have 2 Omega brushes that I have been using exclusively for the last 6 months. One has a 65mm loft and the other 60mm. I have been getting great results from both although lately I have been using the 65mm one the most.

Dick
Dick
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nice brushes, built to last, and to stand up under long term daily use.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
numerouno

Post by numerouno »

I have the Gold handle version of Omega 48. Man, it is amazing ! It just gets better with every shave. No scritch @ all and great scrub.
JimJack

Post by JimJack »

I have one in my rotation.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

hello gents,
Is the Omega 48 the sane brush that used to be labeled as the "Proraso" shaving brush with the big chromed plastic handle?
I have one of those but it doesn't have any markings on it as to what model # it is, just the brand name and made in Italy.
whether it is or not I do like this brush but it is my only example of a boar brush in my stable. I was thinking I would try another Omega or maybe a Semogue or even venture into the world of synthetics as ive read some good things about them also
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
brothers

Post by brothers »

Steve, the Proraso and Omega 48 are the same brush, different box and maybe minus the Omega label. I like my Semogue 2000 because it's a premium grade of boar and is the taller loft. Regarding synthetics, there are several informative threads here on SMF. I have synthetics and they are soft and they make good lather. As with all other brushes, there are individual differences but the prices are not exhorbitant.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Premium grade of boar is like saying prettier than average mule.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Squire wrote:Premium grade of boar is like saying prettier than average mule.
Sounds like you're comparing apples and oranges. Performance and looks don't always go hand in hand.
You haven't lived until you've tried a Bestshave Nr. 6 (Boar, w. some token horse hairs). Doesn't look like
much, but given a little time to pre-soak before and dry afterwards, it makes great lather and does the job.

Not unlike choosing a car or women. For me in cars performance, efficiency, reliability and a reasonable
amount of space and comfort come before looks, as long as it has reasonably clean lines. When sitting
behind the wheel as it's doing its job, i.e. going from Pt. A to Pt. B, one has little to no clue what the
exterior appearance of a car is.

As for women, that could turn into another discussion perhaps best served in another thread, or
another board...

As always when it comes to other things besides brushes, i.e. blades, razors, soaps, creams, etc.,

YMMV.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I think there are definite differences between qualities of boar. My general impression of boar bristle was that it reminded me of straw.

Then I got a Vulfix boar that had a very fine grade of bristle that fell somewhere between regular boar and badger in its behavior.

Finally, I got several Semogues. The 2000 was much like other boars I had used, but the 1305 and the 830 were of a grade of boar that I hold above all others. Definitely different and definitely better (for me). Now I have back-ups, but if I were to buy another boar brush it would have to be a Semogue with this quality of bristle.

I had settled on badger as my brush-type of choice, but then I made major changes to my lathering technique and now the Semogue 1305 boar works better for me than any other brush.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Physical attributes of stubborn beasts of burden notwithstanding, now that you mention it, the Semogue 2000 and the Omega 20106 and the 10048 are beautiful in the eye of the beholder. Especially when they're absolutely bursting with thick rich billows of fresh fragrant lather. When they're wet with lather, there's nothing softer on the face. Unless maybe a synthetic brush.
Gary

JimJack

Post by JimJack »

Just used mine this AM the 48 along with the 98 are the two brushes I use.