Chubby vs Polo

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Mr.Max

Chubby vs Polo

Post by Mr.Max »

Hey guys, I was thinking about treating myself to either a chubby 2 super or a polo 10 super. I already own a chubby 2, but it's a two band. I also own a chubby 1 in regular super. Any preferences from you fine gents? Are they basically the same knot? Thanks for the help :)
~Matt
ghart

Re: Chubby vs Polo

Post by ghart »

Matt, I have these brushes, both late Gloucestershire Simpsons, both in super. The knots are indeed identical but they are different brushes in the hand. The PL10 has more heft on account of the bigger handle and I use this one for hard, triple-milled soaps. The CH2, which I generally prefer, gets used for the slightly softer MWF and creams.

I can't speak for the Simfix PL10 but I have one of their early Manchurian CH2s and it's comparable in size and shape with the earlier CH2, though the knot is of much denser and less floppy bristle. This gets used for the hardest soaps.

I'm a fan of the CH2, but I have a very similar specimen from Morris & Forndran which although half the price, is in the same league. If I had to have only 1 brush it would be a tough choice between the 2-band M&F and the Manchurian CH2.

If you have a CH1 can I ask if you have thought about the PL8, which has a very similar knot? The PL8 handle is a delight to use and it makes the knot that bit more powerful. If the CH2 is my overall favourite then the PL8 closely follows; in fact, it's what I used this morning, with Trumper's sandalwood soap (a few years old) and a dab of their violet cream. Wonderful!

George
Mr.Max

Re: Chubby vs Polo

Post by Mr.Max »

Thanks for the insight George. I haven't considered the polo 8 because I'm looking for a large brush to add to my collection, and I already own a very nice example of a duke 3 best, which could pass for a super.
~Matt