Hoffritz pure badger brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Hoffritz pure badger brushes

Post by brothers »

Can anyone hazard a guess as to who would have made luxury badger brushes for Hoffritz?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Hoffritz pure badger brushes

Post by M6Classic »

That's a good question, and I even owned one until I bought my Plisson in 1970. If I recall correctly...and I probably don't...it had the proportions of a Simpson C2. If its any help, Hoffritz razors were mostly rebranded Merkurs back then, so perhaps the brushes had a German provenance, too.

What...pray tell...moves you to ask?

Buzz
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Gary, I have seen old threads at B&B where Simpson is mentioned as the likely producer of many of the old Hoffritz brushes. Specifically, the Chubby and an old barrel-style handle were mentioned. Of course, it's possible and even likely that there were multiple suppliers at different times or perhaps even different price points.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

M6Classic wrote:That's a good question, and I even owned one until I bought my Plisson in 1970. If I recall correctly...and I probably don't...it had the proportions of a Simpson C2. If its any help, Hoffritz razors were mostly rebranded Merkurs back then, so perhaps the brushes had a German provenance, too.

What...pray tell...moves you to ask?

Buzz
Buzz, I had a conversation with a guy who has one that says made in Germany. I have the impression that Hoffritz sold rebranded items of the best quality, such as razors. I would not be surprised if a Hoffritz was made by Rooney or Simpsons, but Germany as a source of top quality shaving brushes doesn't seem to ring any bells.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm under the impression they were German made.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

When I posted this there was one up for auction on ebay, and it ultimately sold for about $65. The knot, if I remember correctly was 22 x 65. The faux tortoise handle resembled one of the Rooney handles, "3" maybe? Anyway, someone (no not me I didn't bid) probably got a very good brush at a fair price.
Gary