I swear, I did not want a new brush, Vferdman brush review

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

I swear, I did not want a new brush, Vferdman brush review

Post by Sam »

This guy has a thread in the shopping forum here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53357

I was skimming one day the threads by most recent. Came across shopping sub forum and saw that Gary (brothers) had replied to a thread and started reading it. Saw some exotic and colorful wood handles. Now mind you, I was down to one shave brush, a Morris and Fondran blond badger with beehvie handle, about a 24mm knot. Perfectly happy the last three, four years. In fact, don't need a brush because now I am growing a beard for Movember, or as some say, No Shave November.

I have gone through brushes, including HMW Plissons (no, not the big ones) and Simpsons and Shavemacs. I regret disposing of three: S h avemac XL from the first generation; Chubby 2 in both Manchurian and best, and, the first SMF group brush with the cocobola handle (hair started to splay more than I like but the handle was awesome and it was our first group brush after all). Of those three, I think the Shavemac was my favorite.

Anyway, started asking questions and lo and behold, before I knew it, I ordered a brush. It arrived today and let me tell you, pictures do not do it justice. Ill get some pics up and append to the thread and will lather it, but Im excited. The knot was to be 29mm, but I held it up against my MF and they appear the same. I say appear, because one is heavily used, the other maybe lathered twice.

Hair appears to be whiter than the blond badger. Great face feel. Seems to be a denser knot when I scrunch both of them together at the tips. Maybe it will bloom to 29mm, I dont know, but wow, this brush has the look.

Ill get pics up and give you my first shave impression tomorrow. This guy shipped super fast, great wrapping and great communication. I don't know how I got wrapped into buying a brush, as I don't go reading up on TGN knots, or Vintage Blades or other makers. and I was reading up on synthetic brushes for the most part.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: I swear, I did not want a new brush, Vferdman brush revi

Post by Sam »

Pics: MF Blond badger and my new Brush:

MF is a bit taller. Knots seem to have same loft and they each appear to measure 24mm knots at the base:

THe new brush seems to be whiter:

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks for the pics, Sam. Visual does so much more than words, don't you think? Those are two wonderful looking, densely-packed latherers. Very nice indeed!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Shaved this morning with the new brush. Very soft, and yes it is denser, but did not seem to translate on the face that it was denser. Very soft and the difference in the color of the tips is more noticeable after it has been used. I did wet the MF brush so I could compare them to each other after they had been shaken dry and buffed lightly across a towel

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Looking good Sam.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Very nice, Sam. The Vferdman brush does look much larger at the knot to me, at least in that shot. Is that the TGN HMW knot?
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

He was telling me about two knots, the HMW and a 2 band silvertip
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Looking good Sam.
+1 -- and I quite like the looks of your counter as a backdrop as well.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
vferdman

Post by vferdman »

Sam, I am glad you like your new brush. The knot is a 26mm TGN two band finest. The setting is at 29mm or so at the base. The loft is 48mm. Hope you enjoy it in good health.

--
Vladimir
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I do. It is denser than the 24mm blond badger and whiter and when lathered it is softer
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Yes indeed !..A real beauty,the quality of the knot looks superb,many years of enjoyable shaving.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Sam, very nice looking brushes. I hope you enjoy the new one. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you have a BK 8 at one time? If so, how would you say it compares?
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

The TGN knot is as soft as the bk8. Yet it is denser. Denser than all but the shavemac and the chubby
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Thanks, Sam.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy