Reading up on Synthetics

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
TheMonk

Re: Reading up on Synthetics

Post by TheMonk »

It just goes to show you, YMMV. The 49mm Chubby was pretty much unusable for me, and the only Simpson's brush to date that I was simply forced to sell, as I was sure it would get zero use.
I would very much like to own a 54mm Chubby sometime in the future, as the Simpson's hair is softer and has whiter tips then the Muhle/EJ's, but I'll only buy it when I'm absolutely sure of the higher loft - not taking any chances. 8)
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

TheMonk wrote:It just goes to show you, YMMV. The 49mm Chubby was pretty much unusable for me, and the only Simpson's brush to date that I was simply forced to sell, as I was sure it would get zero use.
I would very much like to own a 54mm Chubby sometime in the future, as the Simpson's hair is softer and has whiter tips then the Muhle/EJ's, but I'll only buy it when I'm absolutely sure of the higher loft - not taking any chances. 8)

Well, this is what I had read. And Brian's sure was easier to use. I dont know whether to try to see if Simpsons has anymore or not.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Anyone here use the Simpson Classic1 synthetic? I have the Muhle medium synthetic, but am curious to try the Classic1, as I'd like a synthetic with a bit, but not too much, more backbone than the Muhle.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have 2 Classic1s Bryan. One has the "prototype" fiber that was a very limited run and the other is the production version.

The production version has quite a bit more backbone than the only Muhle synthetic brush I have, but that would be expected since the loft is so much shorter. It's nice and soft, just with more backbone. It's significantly denser also. I'd have to use them side by side or back to back to give you more information. They are very different brushes.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Brian, thanks. I figured with the short loft that the knot would be stiffer. My concern is that it might be too stiff and thus not splay easily.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yesterday I used the EJ and this morning, the Chubby. I think I prefer the Chubby, even with the shorter loft. The EJ reminds me of the BK8. It opens up easily and yes, it is soft. Wow, really soft. Offers no scrubbing per se. The handle is bigger than any I have, and I have small hands. Now, the EJ for me is a better brush than the TGN brush or the Plisson Cade. It really paints the lather. Then again, so does the Chubby. I guess I am getting used to having to apply more pressure, but I think I prefer it. The knot, being more dense. does not splay open as much and so I feel I can swirl the brush on my face easier. I don't use soaps and I face lather so someone may feel differently.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It sounds as if you are starting to experience the qualities of the synthetic brushes that differentiate them from the traditional classic badger brushes. I am of the opinion that after I've used a specific synthetic brush to the exclusion of others over a period of time, I find I have subconsciously (or intentionally) adjusted my technique to take advantage of the positive qualities of that brush as compared to the others. I guess that's going to be true of any brush, but lately I've done it with a couple of synthetics, and consider myself fortunate to have adapted so well.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I find exactly the same thing. To the point where when I pick up the brush again I automatically use it as though there was no lapse in time. It takes about a month for me to get back to any given brush since I use them all each in their turn. That's why if anyone wants me to compare one brush to another I have to deliberately go back and use them side by side. I don't even think about the brushes anymore, it's just automatic.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning I decided to use the EJ STF XL synthetic for the Cella Crema da Barba. Ran some hot water onto the soap and let it sit for a few moments before loading the dry brush for 15 seconds. It made one of the best lathers in quite a while. I'm very impressed. The others aren't bad, but this STF has a comfortable edge over the others I've been using on the Cella for the past few days. I'm going to stick with it for a few more days.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mrscruff

Post by mrscruff »

I have enjoyed the Plisson since I purchased it a month ago. Very soft, yet sturdy enough to build a good lather.
BPman

Post by BPman »

I have had a Mühle Black Fibre synthetic since last Fall and to be frank it's all I use now. :D It does EVERYTHING well, soaps & creams. No need to pre-soak and it's dry in 10 mins. or so. I am sold 100%. I paid around $40 for it. Simply wonderful. :wink:
brothers

Post by brothers »

Looks as if the ever-improving qualities of the synthetic fibers is gradually beginning to convince a lot of wet-shavers to give them a try, many of whom have found they are very good performers.
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I must say that while have had dalliances with badger, I continue to go back to my synthetics. It's been two years now; it's hard for me to imagine shifting away from them. Much as I want to protest, these soulless, bland fibres do the job beautifully.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

My synthetics have personalities. The Plisson and Muhle have different traits although if I had multiples of each then they might be bland. Data on Star Trek has personality, but you wouldn't want a whole crew of Data. You still need the silvertip or the Captain Picard. :D
Ron
hrfdez

Post by hrfdez »

Hi gents,

Interesting thread. I just purchased my first synth from a member and I can't wait to try it. I bought it mainly to use with harder to lather soaps, like Mystic Water, which is awesome, but I think a Synth brush would be more effective.
Hector
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

hrfdez wrote:Hi gents,

Interesting thread. I just purchased my first synth from a member and I can't wait to try it. I bought it mainly to use with harder to lather soaps, like Mystic Water, which is awesome, but I think a Synth brush would be more effective.

Hope you picked one of the more recent, much improved synthetic brushes.
While I have become an enthusiastic convert to newer synthetic brush designs, I found early attempts totally unconvincing.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell