Reading up on Synthetics

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
TheMonk

Re: Reading up on Synthetics

Post by TheMonk »

Sam wrote:David, I face lather so something along the Chubby handle moreso than a Polo suits me
Sam, I switched the references in the previous post. The shorter one is the EJ28, and not the EJ87. Here's a comparison photo of both EJ XL handles, as well as the Muhle:

(Agravic's pic)

My recommendation would be the EJ28, so the one on the right, which as you can see has a shorter and larger handle, with a more comfortable grip IMO.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

The English Shaving Company has them in stock and with delivery, it was a tad over $68. Connaught would have been $66 but are out of stock and from EJ itself about $72. Got the EJ XL in the 28 faux horn handle
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Sam wrote:The English Shaving Company has them in stock and with delivery, it was a tad over $68. Connaught would have been $66 but are out of stock and from EJ itself about $72. Got the EJ XL in the 28 faux horn handle
That's exactly what I got. I believe you will be very pleased. =D>
David

brothers

Post by brothers »

The XL is a good example of a top quality synthetic brush. (So is the big Omega S).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

How have I missed this thread? Wonderful replies and great information fellas.

I'm strongly a Plisson synth guy. I'll have to take some pictures of all my synthetic brushes now and do a quick & dirty review. Even with it being quick and dirty I assire you that all brushes will dry out very quickly. ;)
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Got my EJ faux horn synthetic. Taller handle then the chubby 2, but not unwieldy. Seems to be very, very soft bristles, and not as dense as the Chubby 2 I used but is dense and a larger knot than the TGN knot I used. I read that Muhle/TGn has a 25mm knot but that it is less dense than the EJ and has a little more spring. This one may do me, or it may have to tide me over until Simpsons has the Chubby 2 with blue handle again.
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Sam wrote:Got my EJ faux horn synthetic. Taller handle then the chubby 2, but not unwieldy. Seems to be very, very soft bristles, and not as dense as the Chubby 2 I used but is dense and a larger knot than the TGN knot I used. I read that Muhle/TGn has a 25mm knot but that it is less dense than the EJ and has a little more spring. This one may do me, or it may have to tide me over until Simpsons has the Chubby 2 with blue handle again.
True. I'm curious to read your thoughts on the EJ XL, Sam.
David

brothers

Post by brothers »

TheMonk wrote:
Sam wrote:Got my EJ faux horn synthetic. Taller handle then the chubby 2, but not unwieldy. Seems to be very, very soft bristles, and not as dense as the Chubby 2 I used but is dense and a larger knot than the TGN knot I used. I read that Muhle/TGn has a 25mm knot but that it is less dense than the EJ and has a little more spring. This one may do me, or it may have to tide me over until Simpsons has the Chubby 2 with blue handle again.
True. I'm curious to read your thoughts on the EJ XL, Sam.
Yes!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

My impression of the Edwin Jagger XL synthetic is that it is more like the TGN knot I tried out than like the Simpson's Chubby 2 synthetic. It is denser yes, but it is not hard to get it to splay a little more. Now, from memory, I think it is probably the softest feel when you just brush it across the face dry. The first lather, like I noticed with the other synthetics I got to use, the lather is more meringue-like through more passes than with the badger brushes. The EJ is not as springy as the Simpsons, in that the Simpsons needs a little bit more pressure to cause it to splay while face lathering. Now, that said, the EJ so far is a very nice brush. I do like it more than the TGN and the Plisson brushes I used, and if I was able to get a custom blue handle with the EJ knot, that would have been great. But for the price ($68 shipped from England), I prefer the EJ over the others. Now, the Simpson, that brush would be about $110 to $120 or so shipped. Is it worth almost twice the price? Again, subjective. If Simpsons soon comes out with a blue handled Chubby synthetic, a 1 or a 2, Id probably get it, yes. The Duke would be good but the knot would not be like the Chubby and so Id be getting perhaps another EJ. The Chubby knot, well, that big conglomeration of hairs, just is in another league
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Sam, the EJ XL continues to sound great. And I just turned down a screamin' deal on one 'cause I'd like to try before buy. #-o

BTW, there's a report that Gen 3 STF fibres are being deployed, at least for testing at the moment. They look different than the v2 what little I've seen, with thinner fibres. My first thought was that they reminded me of the Vulfix Duke-series synths that were being teased a couple months back on social media. I could be totally off-base on that part, though.
Ron
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Ron, YGPM.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I am loving the EJ XL but, from memory, I think I would prefer the Simpsons Chubby. Something about it being super dense makes it more like the badger brushes I am used to. Now, the EJ XL is my preference over the Loccitane brush (too small, coloring of the bristles is off-putting) and the TGN knotted custom brush (nice, very nice, but the EJ is a tad more dense and just a little bit more money). But I just love the face feel of a denser, bigger brush. The best feel was the frist SMF brush with Cocobola that sorta sucked my face. Bad decision to sell that one. But if Simpsons does a blue handled or that disco handled Chubby 2 like Brian let me use, I think I would have to spring for that and sell my EJ
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, is it really necessary to sell simultaneously with buying? :D You could just use both intermittently. Maybe that's where I went wrong! :D
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

TheMonk wrote:
Sam wrote:David, I face lather so something along the Chubby handle moreso than a Polo suits me
Sam, I switched the references in the previous post. The shorter one is the EJ28, and not the EJ87. Here's a comparison photo of both EJ XL handles, as well as the Muhle:

(Agravic's pic)

My recommendation would be the EJ28, so the one on the right, which as you can see has a shorter and larger handle, with a more comfortable grip IMO.
The EJ on the far left is the one I have. It's comfortable in hand, and I like it a lot.
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ShadowsDad wrote:The chubby2 Sam is using has a 54mm loft.

I am able to acquire a Chubby 2 and assume it will be this knot, the one Brian let me use. Ill compare it to my EJ knot, but from what I recall of the Chubby, I think it is the one I am after. A little shorter loft, it will make me push it a bit more. I have a Verdman badger brush with a super dense knot and I like how it does not sort of like part the seas, like my BK8 used to do. The EJ does not do it either, but I think its loft could be just a bit shorter. Anyway, I can play with these two brushes. Somedays, I love how the lather in the EJ is, for some reason, it stays wetter through more passes, but then again, that badger hair, you sort of miss out on some sort of feeling when you go synthetic
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

brothers wrote:Sam, is it really necessary to sell simultaneously with buying? :D You could just use both intermittently. Maybe that's where I went wrong! :D

I just have this hangup about seeing stuff sit there and not get used and then having to decide what to use. Two, three brushes, ok, but 7, 8, I see money tied up and not being used. Yes, my counselor tells me what we learned as kids can impact how we see things as adults and this is one of those money lessons I seemed to have picked up from my dad. Sort of taught me the value of money, with stress on value. Its been 55 years but Im breaking loose somewhat
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sound advice, for sure. I managed to survive for a number of decades without a single thought of such a thing as a brush for shaving. So now why do I have a couple of shoeboxes with various brushes of all kinds and types, and old handles. They'll probably end up in a garage sale in a few years when I'm way past shaving. Looking all stinky and ratty. If they don't sell, they'll hit the dumpster.
Gary

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

brothers wrote:Sound advice, for sure. I managed to survive for a number of decades without a single thought of such a thing as a brush for shaving. So now why do I have a couple of shoeboxes with various brushes of all kinds and types, and old handles. They'll probably end up in a garage sale in a few years when I'm way past shaving. Looking all stinky and ratty. If they don't sell, they'll hit the dumpster.
Oh I couldn't allow that to happen! :mrgreen: If you ever consider getting rid of your collection, please let me know first, Chris.
David

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've used the EJ XL over the last few days and found that it's a good latherer with a very large and soft knot that splays much easier than the smaller STFs. Still, it didn't ring any bells for me, and the -28 handle has its edges and curves in all the wrong places making it uncomfortable to grip. This brush has become a hot item on the shaving forums and I'm glad I got to test it, but I won't be following the crowd. If I keep any synthetics in the stable it will most likely be The Grooming Co. model with a custom handle.
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Today was the third day of using the Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic. I had been messaaging Brian, whose 54mm lofted Chubby I had tried along with a TGN knotted one and the Plisson Cade brush. As my wont is to do, I was a tad dissappointed when my Chubby came in at 49mm, and I had read the posts around that people did not like the shorter loft. Okay, I was more than a tad dissappointed. Major disappointed.

So I used it and yes, it does require more pressure to mash the brush against the face and splay the brush. I do find that its bristles are softer than the EJ XL brush. But when you mash it a little, the brush opens up and it works just fine. I asked Brian if he thought the brush would relax a bit over time. Who knows.

Well, if they come back with some more Simpsons Chubby 2 in synthetic and a 54 loft, I might get one and sell this one. Or if I use it and it gets to where I don't notice, fine. I do prefer the size of its handle over the EJ - I have small hands and can really grab the Chubby. Also the head is denser and more compact, it does not fan out as much even when dry. The EJ in horn is a beautiful brush, and its bristles are a more gray color at the top band. Ill hold on to it for a bit, but I may end up selling it. Ill be using the dickens out of the Simpson and the badgers I think.