More shedding issues

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
rsp1202

More shedding issues

Post by rsp1202 »

I have a new-old Simfix Grosvenor LE 2-band Super that has been shedding profusely. Even after shampooing, combing, etc., it continues to lose dozens of hairs each time. I'm continuing on with this procedure since it's the one recommended by Mark/Simpsons, but my sense is that the knot will soon be a ghost. I can't even imagine what re-knotting will cost with this rare* 2-band hair, and Mark has not responded to my query about that.** Anyone got any ideas of how much this might run?

*This hair has not been offered up very often during the last three years. One wonders how much stock of it they actually have on hand.
**I doubt that he will until he's certain the knot needs replacing. Still, it would be nice to know beforehand.
Last edited by rsp1202 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
brothers

Re: More shedding issues

Post by brothers »

The only time this happened to me was a Rooney Finest. At the advice of Chris Moss I sent it to Bernd at Shavemac after first asking him if he could repair it. The glue had failed and in time, if I hadn't had it repaired, it would have (as you say) lost so many of the rare badger hairs that it would have been ruined. Instead, Bernd was able to take the defective knot and skillfully (I have no idea how he did it, but the man knows his business!) reglued the knot with a loss of 5mm in loft, the shedding has virtually stopped and I have the Finest knot that I can use as normal again. With all of this in mind, because of my own experience, I would ask Bernd if he wants to take a look at it to see if it can be salvaged and repaired, and I would tell him if it can't be repaired, it isn't his responsibility, and the brush would be considered unusable and of no practical value other than the handle. If anyone can fix it (same hairs) Bernd can. I deem Mark's instructions to keep doing what you're doing until the rare knot has lost all of its hairs as irresponsible and unprofessional. That, combined with his failure to respond as to the cost tells me Simpson's should not be considered the source of your relief. Save the brush if you can, you do not owe any sentimental allegiance to Simpson's just because it is a Simpson brush.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Thanks, Gary. It may be early in the process but I think the writing's on the wall with this knot, so hope to resolve this issue quickly. I believe it was shipped from the factory with a faulty one and so should be subject to replacement at fair cost. If one is offered and the price turns out to be too high, then your point about talking to Bernd is a good one, and I'll do just that.
Ron
Janus

Post by Janus »

I had one of those. Mine shed quite a bit at first, then stopped after a couple of months, was fine for a few months until it started shedding again and this time with a vengeance - at which point I just binned it and called it a day. Life's too short and all that. I do miss it, though. I've bought Simpson brushes after that and they've all been fine but I do seem to recall other people having had similar issues with this particular brush.
Janus
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Thanks for the information, Janus.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Shedding happens when the hair/glue connection fails. Re-establish that connection, eliminate shedding. Remove or bypass/overlay/replace the glue that's not working with glue that works. Re-knot? Probably far more convenient than fiddling with a malfunctioning knot. If the hair is rare and precious it's preferable to make an effort to save it before it all falls out. Total replacement is always an option. Actually replacement becomes the only option once a substantial proportion of original hair has been allowed to fall out
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444