Rooney Finest fan shaped 3/3

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Rooney Finest fan shaped 3/3

Post by brothers »

This morning's brush was one I was able to score a while ago from one of the gents on the forums, in spite of our good member John who's apparently cornering the market on these great Rooneys. :) This one's knot is a bit of a fan shape, and has those soft white tips we all lust for, in a brush. It did great. This is the third member of the 4 brush rotation I'm currently enjoying.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Re: Rooney Finest fan shaped 3/3

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, sounds wonderful and rare. Use it in good health.

Chris
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I have a 3/2 with a 3/3 size knot, and it's a wonderful wonderful brush. I don't think I could ever be without it!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but I am disappointed with the robustness of the Finest knot in my Rooney 2/1. I've owned the brush for about 7 years and it has performed very well except that a year ago the centre of the knot started to hollow out and it has continued to do so with use. At the moment this appears to be just an aesthetic issue as the brush continues to lather well and feel good on my face. In my near 50 years of using a shaving brush, however, I've never had this happen to any of my other brushes, either cheap or expensive. Since the brush continues to perform well I'm torn over whether to have it re-knotted, but it does tick me off when I use the brush and look at the ever increasing cavity in the middle of the knot. :cry:
Bryan
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Rufus wrote:I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but I am disappointed with the robustness of the Finest knot in my Rooney 2/1. I've owned the brush for about 7 years and it has performed very well except that a year ago the centre of the knot started to hollow out and it has continued to do so with use. At the moment this appears to be just an aesthetic issue as the brush continues to lather well and feel good on my face. In my near 50 years of using a shaving brush, however, I've never had this happen to any of my other brushes, either cheap or expensive. Since the brush continues to perform well I'm torn over whether to have it re-knotted, but it does tick me off when I use the brush and look at the ever increasing cavity in the middle of the knot. :cry:
Taking into account how Lee seems to make his knots, with a sort of glue ring on the base, that cavity in the center of the knot isn't that surprising to me... what I find strange is that the brush isn't also shedding.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

TheMonk wrote:
Rufus wrote:I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but I am disappointed with the robustness of the Finest knot in my Rooney 2/1. I've owned the brush for about 7 years and it has performed very well except that a year ago the centre of the knot started to hollow out and it has continued to do so with use. At the moment this appears to be just an aesthetic issue as the brush continues to lather well and feel good on my face. In my near 50 years of using a shaving brush, however, I've never had this happen to any of my other brushes, either cheap or expensive. Since the brush continues to perform well I'm torn over whether to have it re-knotted, but it does tick me off when I use the brush and look at the ever increasing cavity in the middle of the knot. :cry:
Taking into account how Lee seems to make his knots, with a sort of glue ring on the base, that cavity in the center of the knot isn't that surprising to me... what I find strange is that the brush isn't also shedding.
David, you're quite correct, the brush doesn't shed in the way I've had other brushes shed, I.e. full strands of hair. The way it hollows out is that the hairs in the centre break off about half way down the shaft; thus when you comb the knot the pieces of hair come away. I hope I've explained this clearly.
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Bryan,

My ol' bedraggled turnback has been experiencing this as well to some degree. It continues to perform, and admirably so, so I just continue to use it. Who knows what causes it or even if it's a function of the times we live in. Seems there's nothing we can do about it.

Chris