Shorter loft

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Jbbmad2

Shorter loft

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Gentlemen,
I have a TGN synthetic that I bought last year and installed in a vintage Ever Ready handle. I would like to remove the knot and mount it lower in the handle. Is there a safe way to do this where I don't destroy the knot?
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
ShadowsDad

Re: Shorter loft

Post by ShadowsDad »

I can't help directly. Why not contact TGN and ask?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

I suppose the main question is what did you use to glue it? There are a couple of SMF members who have posted about doing what you're asking about. Maybe one of those guys can be of help.

(Edit: vferdman and Oscar11, unless I am wrong.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Good ideas. Thanks for the input.

Gary I used a 2 part epoxy from a syringe container, but I don't know the brand.
Bruce
Gig'em!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have a suspicion, or an untested theory, that epoxy might be too permanent to change. I hope I'm wrong.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Me too.
Bruce
Gig'em!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yikes! Forget asking TGN. The glue holding the knot together is likely not as durable as the epoxy that holds the knot in. You might wind up selling the brush and making a new brush. I hope the handle wasn't unique.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Well I've not seen another Ever Ready that's like this one, but I'm sure it's not that unique. I don't use it as often due to the lack of backbone so my thought was to drop it down a little further in the handle. Not sure if that would help or not. It makes a pretty good lather, but it's more for brushing than how one would normally use a brush. We shall see, worse case I can just use it for display I guess.
Bruce
Gig'em!
brothers

Post by brothers »

And, as you said in the beginning, you can drill out the current knot, clear and dress the inside of the hole. Then you would have to buy a new knot for it of course.
Gary

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Just curious, what size knot and what's the loft.
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

If memory serves me correctly it's a 20mm knot, but I don't remember the loft. It's not set very deep in the handle that I do remember. I did this one about a year ago, have used it sparingly, maybe a couple dozen times and about a week ago I gave it to a friend to see if he liked it.
Bruce
Gig'em!
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Here's an update for anyone interested. The friend that I loaned it to brought it back promptly as he had no luck with it either. In playing around with it I'm glad to report I was able to get it out without damaging the knot or the Ever Ready 500PB handle (this one from around 1950ish I believe). I have sunk it about a 1/4" deeper in the handle so I'll begin playing around with it soon to see if it works any better than before. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help with this.
Bruce
Gig'em!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Excellent! I hope you put it in there with some sort of temporary adhesive so that you could continue to adjust it.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the positive update. I'm glad to hear it. Hope the brush improves with the reduction of the loft.
Gary

Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Brian no I didn't, I used the same epoxy just not as much and I figured I can get it out again if needed. Plus any deeper and it would look pretty bad as there wouldn't be much loft. Thanks again guys.
Bruce
Gig'em!
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I was going to suggest that you just put a band around the bristles at the top of the handle to tighten them up. Even a rubber band will do for that.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

I had thought of that Pete. Since after some playing around I was able to get the knot out I went with the original plan.
Bruce
Gig'em!
brothers

Post by brothers »

A couple of weeks ago someone found a YouTube video of using steam to remove these knots. I'll try it one of these days just to see if it will work on a knot that's been epoxied in place. Maybe others among us have also seen this video.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Someone needs to invent one of these:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Ha, ha Chris, that is your invention. Does shavemac still make that model?
Bryan