which Chubby?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Big Swifty

which Chubby?

Post by Big Swifty »

hello Gents,
I have not bought a new brush in a long time and I think it is time to place an order 8)
I have always wanted a Chubby because of all the great press on them here from the members, everybody seems to love them! My dilemma is which one?
right away I can throw out the 3 because for me it just seems too big as I kinda like the smaller brushes. I am torn between the 1 and the 2, I have been reading the dimensions and have been measuring my other brushes to compare the size. I feel the 1 might be kinda small and the 2 sorta big, I have read numerous reviews on both and of course people love their brushes so it is hard to tell. I own a Duke 3 that is of good size and the 1 seems will be about 4mm shorter overall with a shorter but fatter handle, my Duke was purchased during the dreaded 08'-09' period when supposedly the quality of Simpsons was not at their best and I believe I have a dud, my knot is not that dense and is actually sort of floppy although I do like the size. I predominantly use a Rooney 3/1 super as my main brush and I like the size of it too. the 2 would be about the same height of the Rooney with a much bigger knot. I used to own a Vulfix 41 which was way too floppy and had a big handle that would probably be great for cream users but I use soaps exclusively and face lather so the 41 was not for me and I sold it here. Ultimately I would like them both but right now I am sort of leaning towards the 1. Another problem is which hair grade? I have read with the Simpsons that their best grade is actually pretty good and only the discerning expert can really notice the differences, my Duke is in best and the bristles are really soft and just as nice as the hair on my Rooney super (just a bit softer). I would like to hear from a member who has both grades from Simpsons and tell me if the super justifies the big price difference between the two (in size 1 its about $60 more)
thanks for reading
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
CMur12

Re: which Chubby?

Post by CMur12 »

Can't answer your question, Steve, but it's good to see you again!

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Certainly is Steve, hope you're doing well.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I can't really answer your question either. It would be so much easier if this were done via voice with a give and take of information. But I'll do the best I can to infer all possibilities.

I have a Chubby 1 in finest and it's fine for my face lathering. I have never wanted a bigger badger. If I bowl lathered it might not be large enough but I simply don't know since I don't do it. The handle is rather short and I don't think it would be best at bowl lathering. But again, I don't bowl lather. I like my CH1 a whole lot for face lathering. It's definitely a wall of badger. I bought it used and I asked as to the quality of the fiber. There isn't a harsh fiber in the entire brush.

I have a CH2 synthetic with a non-standard loft of 54 mm and while it's nothing like a badger, it's synthetic after all and completely different, but it's a superb brush for face lathering. Same handle and again, I have to question if it would be long enough for use in a bowl. For such a large brush, due to the fibers it doesn't splay a great deal and acts "smaller" than one would think when lathering. Unless it has changed, the standard brush has a shorter loft to make it splay even less than mine. That shorter loft adds to the incredible backbone that a CH2 synthetic has, as compared to mine. Yet a Simpsons synthetic has incredible softness at the tips.

I like both of my CH's quite a lot.

I do have a Rooney 3/1 super silvertip and neither of my CH's are anything like the Rooney. They are extremely dense and the Rooney simply isn't the same. Not better or worse, different.

Sam had a shorter lofted (48mm ? ) CH2 syn' and he might be able to help you better with that brush.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Very nice to see you out and about :D

I have polo's in both best and super. The best is just as nice as the super. For me the super shines in looks, but then two banded always looked better to my eye.

I have a chubby 3....a very nice brush that would be 100 times better without the shedding. Not sure about the reputations of the 1 and 2, but shedding is something I would worry the most about before all else.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have several Simpson brushes in best (including a CH1) and super. I find the super knots to be quite dense compared to the best knots. On the whole I prefer my best knots to my super knots in terms of overal performance and face-feel; hence I don't think the super knots are worth the premium. Notwithstanding, my CH1 best is not one of my favoured brush; I find it just too dense and a lather hog; I can't imaging what it would be like in super or in the two larger sizes. I've thought about selling the CH1, but have decided to keep it for the present because it is an icon after all. My favourite best brush is the Colonel, which is noticeably less dense than my Chubby and my supers for that matter.
Bryan
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I love big brushes, so my choice would definitely be a Chubby 3 - I have three, two of which are Somerset, and I love them all. That being said, I completely understand how that's a very big brush for most people, specially if you're a face latherer.
Anyway, I've owned Chubbys in all three sizes, and with all hair grades Simpson offers, and if I were you I'd go for a Chubby 2, either in Best (Super is definitely not worth it, IMO), or go for one of the "premium" hair grades, the Silvertip 2-Band (formerly known as Super 2-Band) or the Manchurian.
As said before, Chubby knots are considerably denser then your average Simpson's, but I've found both the Silvertip and the Manchurian knots to be considerably less of a lather hog then the Best or Super, not because they're any less dense (particularly the Manchurian), but because the actual hairs are considerably thicker, which I believe allows for a much superior flowthrough.
If you're torn between one of these two grades, the choice would come down to knot shape preference - Silvertip is bulb and Manchurian in fan, as well as face feel, the Silvertip being incredibly soft and the Manchurian having some scrub, but in a good way, as it has no scritch at all, IMO. Hope this helps!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

The shorter lofted Chubby in synthetic is very, very soft. At 49mm, I would have liked the extra 5 mm mentioned in an earlier post. The shorter loft requiers a little more mashing if you face lather like I do. If you bowl lathered and applied the lather by paint strokes, it may be great. To me, it has the best knot size and was super, super soft.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Thanks guys!
I have always loved this site and the guys who hang here, just a great place to be a (small) part of
well there are certainly a bunch of greats points to ponder with your great responses. I do believe that I will go with the best knot as the super price premium just doesn't seem to be all that different in performance, but I do looooove the look of some of the supers that I have seen pics of with really white handles (love the white handles), as far as size goes Im leaning towards the 1 because I think I will like the smaller size since I never bowl lather (don't even own a shave bowl, just a Moss scuttle which is quite possibly the greatest shaving device that I own... Thanks Chris). I might get 2 Simpsons since I really like the looks of em' so I will consider the Colonel, classic, tulip, and maybe even a duke 2
thanks guys, hope your all having a great day!
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

Go with Best grade. This is excellent stuff these days. I have a CH1 and a CH2. Very different brushes. I think the 1 is a little small and the 2 a little big. So take your pick. They are great brushes.

Regards,

Rexcarolus
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Have you gotten your new brush in yet?
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Thanks for asking Brian
Yes I did indeed and I actually purchased two 8) I went with the Chubby 1 in super and I also got a Colonel 2xl in best. I was gonna get the Chubby in best but I did want to get 2 different hair grades and Simpsons makes more brushes in best than in super and the Chubby was available both ways so I went for it, plus I have always wanted one...and I still want a tulip 2 or 3 but that will be a decision to be made at a later date. I have to say that I do love both brushes and pretty much have been using them exclusively for the last two weeks to get em bloomin'. The Colonel is a real nice gem of a brush for an awesome price and is just real nice to use. I reminds me a lot of my Rooney 3/1 in size and looks and will probably some day perform just as nice (she's still pretty new) The Chubby on the other hand is just awesome! I was worried the 1 size would be really small but the handle and loft are just perfect for face lathering IMO. Its maiden shave was lathering a bowl of new Cella (which I love) and while loading Chubs up lather was literally flying out of the bowl and into the sink, I knew at that moment that I had a winner. I works so good right off the bat and feels so good on the skin that I definitely have to claim her as my new favourite but I have been using the Colonel a little more because she needs a little more breaking in so to speak but by the 3rd shave its working pretty darn good. All in all I just love my new brushes but I feel I might want to get some more :oops: But I don't feel too bad because these are the first brushes I have purchased in over 5 years and the first shaving related purchase in over 3 but I do feel some AD's kicking in...oh well.
To be honest I gave up drinking Whiskey 6 months ago and that left me more allowance for my other hobbies :wink:
~Steve

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Glad to hear that you like them.

I have a CH1 in Best and it's a great brush.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Years Steve? I admire your restraint.
Regards,
Squire
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

yes its been awhile now,
I was pretty content for a long time as I had settled on the razors I had which I was using (Gillette Tech, SS, and slim adj and Merkur HD and slant). I also had a mountain of Feathers which I presumed to be a lifetime supply. I had more soap than I knew what to do with and I had at least 20 bottles of various aftershaves. I had a brush which was my daily workhorse (Rooney 3/1) and I was pretty much set. Up until just recently I have been real good in not visiting the vendor sites but as of now that is out the door :mrgreen:
I guess it could be worse... Pens, watches, cameras, bikes, cigars, spirits, pipes, etc etc
~Steve

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Not sure if I have the names right, but if memory serves, Wendell bought a colonel recently and was raving about it.....must be the beginning of a new craze here LOL.....enjoy your new brushes and use in good health. personally i would have stuck with the whiskey HAHAHHAHAHAHA

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Big Swifty wrote:I guess it could be worse... Pens, watches, cameras, bikes, cigars, spirits, pipes, etc etc
At least you haven't been wasting your money.
Regards,
Squire
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Squire wrote:
Big Swifty wrote:I guess it could be worse... Pens, watches, cameras, bikes, cigars, spirits, pipes, etc etc
At least you haven't been wasting your money.
Well Squire that depends on who you ask. SWMBO might disagree with you :P
~Steve

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

So let's not tell her.
Regards,
Squire