boars and horses

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Big Swifty

boars and horses

Post by Big Swifty »

Hello gents
this is a question for those of you who own both types of brushes,
does a horse hair brush measure up to a really well broken in boar brush like a semogue SOC or an Omega 48? Waas thinking about getting a Vie long horsehair brush but only if they are as nice as a good boar brush
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
ShadowsDad

Re: boars and horses

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welllll....

Yes and no. They are definitely a brush unto themselves. When you use a horse it won't break in nearly as easily as a boar and some boars don't break in easily at all. I almost gave up on my horse brush, but after quite some time it appears to be good now. Understand it isn't what I would call soft and probably never will be. But it's far less scratchy and actually has persuaded me to reconsider selling it. It has great backbone, one of it's strong points. Eventually it does get better. If its aging is any indicator it'll probably outlast me and another few generations of shavers.

It's moved from a brush that was almost sold to one that has a permanent place in my cabinet.

Is it for you? Maybe, maybe not. I enjoy variety in my shaves and my one Vie-Long definitely lends variety. From my inventory list this is what I have.
Vie-Long 1307B 50% mane/50% tail, 23x53mm (as measured) unbleached blond, olivewood handle

Good luck with your decision and please let us know how you make out with it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Steve, I have one I'll loan you, that way you can experience it at your leisure and return it whenever you decide to. No timetable. Here's a picture of it, the one in the center, of course. If you're interested, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send it Monday.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mpols1968

Post by mpols1968 »

It's moved from a brush that was almost sold to one that has a permanent place in my cabinet.
I have had exactly this experience. I have two that I've almost gotten rid of, but after time, I've really started to enjoy them. They aren't as broken in as my boars, but I can now see the potential. I like that the horse wasn't harmed in making them. One caution, is that I do need to periodically comb the brush out.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I had a Vie-Long horse, 50/50 tail/mane, which I never liked, but I can't be specific about what I didn't like. I finally had it re-knotted with a 2-band TGN finest, which is superb. On the other hand I liked my Omega B&B Essential boar from the very first use. It really didn't require a break-in period to be enjoyed. Given the enjoyment I get from this boar I'm thinking of adding a Semogue boar.
Bryan
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

I use horses and boars more often than badgers. Horse hair brushes have the best traits of badger and boar in one brush. IMO there is nothing like one of my many well broken in boars--both Semogue and Omega!!
Mike
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

I'm not a horse hair fan.