Paladin and M&F

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
rexcarolus

Paladin and M&F

Post by rexcarolus »

Hello,

I am posting on a topic I I have been considering for a while. I have hesitated to post (and am sharing these thoughts here only, since SMF is the most level-headed forum) because I might be accused of trolling. That is not my intention.

I am perhaps one of the lucky ones: my very first message to Lee Sabini of Morris & Forndran was answered and a wonderful brush matching exactly what I ordered followed promptly. It has been nearly one year since I received that brush, which remains my only M&F.

Over the last several weeks, I have sent a half-dozen emails to Lee inquiring about a new brush. Not hearing back is not unusual, however something has changed since I purchased my only M&F in 2014.

Paladin Brushes (Dark Holler) is the change.

For those unfamiliar, Paladin brushes represent a collaborative effort between Lee Sabini (responsible for knots and setting of knots) and Ken Lynn and his son (responsible for handle design, manufacture, quality control, ordering, etc). By all accounts, these are wonderful brushes.

For those who have followed Morris & Forndran, there has been a wealth of variety in handle design, materials, hair grades, and knots. Paladin offers two or three handle designs, a wealth of materials, and, as far as I have seen, pretty much one type of knot (a very excellent one).

Let me be clear: it is not just I who have had poor luck getting M&F brushes lately. A thread at another place shows there has been a trickle (at best) of M&F brushes for quite a few months. Lee, understandably, appears to be quite busy with the Paladin venture.

But my question is this: is the community of wetshavers well served by this change? Was it worth effectively curtailing M&F (at least in the short term) in order to have Paladin rise up?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Rexcarolus
Last edited by rexcarolus on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Paladin and M&F

Post by Squire »

You can mention the other place (or places) Rex, we're open minded here. As for the changes I share a frustration with other enthusiasts over not getting what I want when I want but the upside is Lee is still in business.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I followed that project as it was posted on the other forum. If I am correct, Mr. Sabini provided knots for 100 LE brushes. I'd imagine that was a lot of work, just making and installing the knots in the handles within a narrow time frame for completion and shipping back to NA. Your question is a good one that probably could only be answered objectively by Mr. Sabini. Those brushes were beautiful, and I'm sure the guys who bought them are enjoying them immensely. I do hope it turned out well for all concerned, most of all Lee Sabini and the Lynn family, all of whom worked so hard to make it happen.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The short answer is yes. In effect we now have two chances to score these brushes.

In the long run, having Ken and Dark Holler a player in this game is a huge plus for the community. He will have a new website up and running soon, and dealing with him is overall a much pleasanter experience than going it alone with Lee Sabini. Ken is incredibly on top of things, and his offerings will eventually include a greater assortment of handle designs to choose from, and quite possibly different knot suppliers -- as he himself has said.

Lee is a force of nature working from within his own time frame. Procuring an M&F brush requires patience and fortitude, and this was the case even before the Paladin enterprise took off.
Ron
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

Thanks, Ron. I hadn't thought about it in those terms and didn't know more handle and knot options were on the way from Paladin.

Regards,

Rexcarolus