Rooney - Broad Arrow Boar, ca. 1940

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
rexcarolus

Rooney - Broad Arrow Boar, ca. 1940

Post by rexcarolus »

Hello,

I wanted to share a picture of a vintage Rooney. It has a wood handle with a metal collar, probably of lead, and boar bristles. It is bears the broad arrow mark, designating it as property of the British Armed Forces (along with "Warranted all bristle" and "Sterilised"). The code 1940 is in accordance with the four digit numbers on other Rooney products, however I wonder if it may refer to the year of manufacture, something I have seen on other WWII era military items.

In any case it is an unusual Rooney with some age and an interesting military association. If you have any insights on it, I'd love to know more.

Regards,

Rexcarolus
Thalay Sagar

Re: Rooney - Broad Arrow Boar, ca. 1940

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Very neat brush. I look forward to reading any information about it.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No idea but I'd like to learn more.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'd love to know this old brush's story. Very nice indeed.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I just found this thread. When I bought some Rooney Finest brushes a few months ago, I also got a boar brush just like the one discussed above.
ImageImageImage

Subsequently I received an interesting message from Brad Sears. He talked to Lee Sabini on the telephone about the wood-handled boar brush. According to Lee, Basil Rooney, Mrs. Rooney's brother-in-law, was an RAF Spitfire pilot. He was instrumental in getting the Rooney factory to make a number of inexpensive wooden brushes for sale to British soldiers and sailors in 1941-42. Beginning in 1943, Rooney was able to switch from wood to plastic for their Army/Navy brushes. Basil apparently was quite a character, sporting the archetypal handlebar mustache, Brycreamed, slicked-back hair, etc.

I am going to try shaving with it in a couple weeks.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Both are labeled All Bristle, yet one is yellow and the other is black. Makes me wonder if it's been dyed or just naturally black. I love these old brushes, and the back story is wonderful. Thanks to Mr. Sabini.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
may

Post by may »

The story is wonderful.
Thanks
May