Mühle 33 K 256

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
BPman

Mühle 33 K 256

Post by BPman »

I decided recently to try a Mühle 33 K 256 synthetic Silvertip brush. I have used one of their "Black Fibre" brushes since last year and it is superb. This new Silvertip synthetic is larger and softer needless to say. I will be brief in adding that if you are interested in a synthetic brush then look no further. This is just simply perfect. Those crafty Germans have this figured out for sure. :P The reasons I like synthetics is not for any faux humanitarian reason, but rather because they require no pre-soak & dry in 10 - 15 mins. so there is no reason to have a veritable 'arsenal' of brushes in constant rotation. And finally, they simply flat out work like a charm. The only downside for some is that their heat retention is far less than natural brushes. Since I am no namby pamby and hold my socks up with thumbtacks that is of no importance to me. :wink:
brothers

Re: Mühle 33 K 256

Post by brothers »

BPman, admittedly I am not familiar with this specific brush, but I am in agreement with your statements about the most recent generation of synthetics.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Regarding the heat retention. I have no problems with using my Muhle 31K256 with a Moss Scuttle. I think as long as the brush holds lather and the bowl has moist lather, then it does fine.
Ron
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

The black fiber hjm (low cost Muehle range) brush was a disappointment and a throwback to a previous generation of synthetic fibers, but the versatile Muehle Silvertip Fiber became quickly my daily brush and relegated my genuine silvertips to the drawer.

I find it easy to whip up a good lather even with soaps that are considered difficult, but as a frequent traveler the greatest convenience is the short drying time. All it takes is a vigorous rub with a bath towel and the brush is ready to go.

The synthetic fibers can deform if they are exposed to too much heat, although this is primary a concern for people who fill their scuttles with near boiling water. If the fibers should deform, with a little efforts they can be brought back to their original shape.

The Silvertip Fibers have become my daily brushes and while the feel is not quite on par with true silvertips, it is close enough for me.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Does anyone know of any truly fan-shaped brushes made of this latest generation of synthetic silvertip fiber?

- Murray
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Murray, there's a new version of the Ubersoft knot carried by Nathan Clark that's more fan-shaped than the previous version:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/228411577/ ... e_active_1
However, this is a Plisson-style rather than Muhle/EJ-style fibre.
Ron
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Ron. That shape looks pretty good. I don't know what the difference is between Plisson and Muehle/EJ fiber, however, other than that people seem to like both.

- Murray
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Murray, the Plisson is incredibly soft, like a makeup brush. Its softness exceeds the Mühle black fibre. It is almost not brush-like, in fact. I do not enjoy using mine but know many do. I have seen only a few new synthetics trending the way of Mühle synthetics with the thicker fibers and sturdy backbone. I prefer such knots, but no matter the manufacturer or knot size, I've not seen a true fan-shaped synthetic, a fact which was driven home to me this morning looking at my most fan-shaped Edwin Jagger STF XL on the counter beside a Shavemac silvertip fan. The closest to true fan would be some specimens of the Mühle black fibre or the linked ones Ron mentioned. The fan shape, besides being more aesthetically pleasing to me, is superior for my lathering preferences, but I can do with the synthetics I have. Wish I could have the best of both worlds, though.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau