Why Synthetic?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
BiffBuff

Re: Why Synthetic?

Post by BiffBuff »

I've got the RazoRock DISRUPTOR. Terrific brush for only $9 -- a real beauty too IMO.
disengage
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BiffBuff, is that Disruptor the same size brush as you would normally use in badger or boar?

(The the general consensus is to get the same size brush in synthetic, I might go ahead and order a Disruptor.)

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth regarding synthetic sizes. I have two: a Whipped Dog 24mm by about 55 and a Stirling 26X63 (if my memory is right). I guess that makes the Stirling about the same size as the Razorock monster. I much prefer the Stirling. The Whipped Dog has more backbone but the big Stirling has a much better face feel. I think that synthetic brushes benefit from long lofts and large diameters. I have used both brushes on soaps and creams and both will build lather easily but I like the large brush much better. Just my opinion.
Best regards,

Basil
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the feedback, Basil.

I build my lather on top of the cake of soap, so I'm not looking for the face feel that face-latherers seek. I don't think I would experience any synthetic brush as harsh. What I'm looking for is a brush that lathers efficiently. In my experience, dense brushes hold up well for face-lathering, but they do not lather efficiently in a bowl. The most efficient latherers are decidedly less dense and even floppy, though I'm not sure how this carries over into synthetic fibers. Oh, and I want a fan-shaped brush; I don't like bulb-shaped brushes. Thanks!

- Murray
magoo

Post by magoo »

Hi All!
I recently bought 2 Synthetics from West Coast Shaving...i have some sort of weird allergic reaction of the eyes/skin to "normal brushes" for whatever reason and basically resigned myself that i could not enjoy a traditional shave ever.....the synthetics i purchases were Omega brushes and really lather nice and hallelujah no water eyes no funny skin reaction so i am in "shave Heaven" at this point!

So, if for some reason out there there is anyone like me with odd skin/allergic reactions to normal brushes synthetics might be the way to shave!
cpool222

Post by cpool222 »

Possum, try one just because it's there... and because if you don't you'll always wonder what you missed 8) And, they're very soft!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

magoo wrote:Hi All!
I recently bought 2 Synthetics from West Coast Shaving...i have some sort of weird allergic reaction of the eyes/skin to "normal brushes" for whatever reason and basically resigned myself that i could not enjoy a traditional shave ever.....the synthetics i purchases were Omega brushes and really lather nice and hallelujah no water eyes no funny skin reaction so i am in "shave Heaven" at this point!

So, if for some reason out there there is anyone like me with odd skin/allergic reactions to normal brushes synthetics might be the way to shave!
It makes sense, magoo, but it's good to see it as someone's first-hand experience, too. Thanks for sharing that with us.

- Murray