Question about shaving brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Bowhuntermac

Question about shaving brush

Post by Bowhuntermac »

Hey guys, new to the forum here. Finally delved into wet shaving after I received as a gift for Christmas. I got a Parker silvertip badger brush and a Edwin Jagger DE razor which so far I love both. My question is about the brush....I have noticed a few of the brush hairs have either broken off or fallen out during use. Just want to see if this is normal initially or what? Am I using it wrong? I wet it under warm water, then apply shaving cream, and use light/medium pressure in circular motions on my face as I lather. Then rinse until clean and shake out the water and hang to dry. Do I need to soak it in warm/hot water for a few minutes before I shave? Or is it normal to lose a few hairs now and then on a brush, ecspecially when it's new?
ShadowsDad

Re: Question about shaving brush

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum.

A few hairs falling out of a new brush is normal. You mention pressure and I don't quite know what you mean. In use the end 1/3 of the bristles should be in use. Go down any closer to the base of the bristles and damage can occur. If the base of the brush is against your skin that's definitely a no-no if you want the brush to last.

OK, back to pressure on the brush, I have badgers and I would never consider the slight pressure when the brush is in use to be pressure with the brush at all since the brush gives so easily with virtually no pressure at all. I suspect that you're brush mashing. If so the hairs you're seeing is damage to the brush occurring. I hope I'm wrong about that, but if I'm correct the brush still has plenty of life in it in all likelihood. Just stop doing it. You have a mirror. Only the outer 1/3 of the bristles get used and never the base of the brush. The brush is only used to generate lather, not scrub your face.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Bowhuntermac

Post by Bowhuntermac »

I'm not pushing down too hard I don't think. Imagination just swirling around my face to create a good lather, not getting down to the base of the brush. Good to know that a few hairs is normal to lose! Thanks for the reply!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey mac, welcome aboard. While I've owned brushes that never shed I've had a few over the years that would lose bristles in a pattern that was neither consistent or predictable. Just shed a few ever so often, then none for six months, then a few . . .

Badger hair brushes are surprisingly resilient and can survive decades of daily use.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Welcome to smf.

if you are not 'pressing' the brush as far down as Brian talks about you are more than likely in the world of badger squire describes in which a brush may shed, may not shed, may shed for a day and then never again or sometimes shed every time you use it. Give it a couple of weeks. if it sheds every time you use it, a return is in order

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Bowhuntermac

Post by Bowhuntermac »

Thanks for all the info gentlemen!
Data

Post by Data »

If you use a Silver Tip Badger every day is will loose its' backbone. Get yourself a Stirling 22 or 26 mm synth, and for $20 you will extend the life of your badger. You might find as I did that the $20 brush does a great job and makes the badger a special weekend event. I haven't used my naturals for weeks. The Stirling synths (Plisson knot) are dip and lather. No soaking, lather machines and easy cleanup. Yes, the Parker Silver Tip is a wonderful brush. I have two. But they won't hold up to daily use.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Something I picked up early on from this forum, was to hold my brush with the handled pressed into my hand and cupping it with my fingers so that they extend up along the bristles until --- oddly enough --- about 1/3 of them are working the lather. I was totally unaware of the 1/3 rule, but I suppose I have ended up doing it by default.

Oh, and speaking of brushes, get a Kent BK4 or BLK4 -- you won't regret it. Since picking one up about 15 months ago, I have rarely used anything else.

Best of luck!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?