brush condition, brush health

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
nicodemus38

brush condition, brush health

Post by nicodemus38 »

Just when does one say a boar brush definitely needs a vinegar bath?

softness changes? flexibility?
brothers

Re: brush condition, brush health

Post by brothers »

Maybe it's supposed to help get rid of the new brush stink.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Nic, I haven't had to clean any of my brushes, but I have a water softener and I rinse my brushes out very well. Those who have hard water seem to need to clean their brushes more frequently, or perhaps those who don't rinse them out as well after use. I would think that if you're finding that your brush (boar or badger) isn't performing as it once did, you might consider giving it a clean. This would especially be true if you can see deposits from soap or hard water building up at the base of the knot.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I cant really see any buildup at the base, but I do have hard water.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

nic rather than vinegar you might look into barber/beauty supply houses for something that doesn't smell as strong.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Vinegar is a standard agent used to remove hard water deposits. It should be diluted, though I don't know the proportion to water off hand. If you look to another cleaning agent for the brush, be sure that it addresses hard water deposits.

- Murray
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

You might want to use Dawn dish soap first to remove any greasy deposits from shaving cream; rinse well; then vinegar.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Here is a link to a video and directions at Em's Place showing the procedure for cleaning a brush. Does not say when you should do it other than seeing deposits at the base of the knot.

Brush Cleaning Video
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I can't believe how little water that lady used in her rinses. I run the water much faster and I rinse more times. I also don't believe in conditioners for shave brushes. They work by depositing a layer of emulsified wax which is melted by hot water and deposits on ones hair. I don't want that on my brushes even if they feel softer.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Ouchmychin wrote:I can't believe how little water that lady used in her rinses. I run the water much faster and I rinse more times. I also don't believe in conditioners for shave brushes. They work by depositing a layer of emulsified wax which is melted by hot water and deposits on ones hair. I don't want that on my brushes even if they feel softer.
Good points Pete. Just think it is try what you think best about doing it. At least this video gives us a basic idea of how to clean a brush. What you use is just like which brush, razor, cream/soap combo works for each of us. Thanks for the input about the conditioner use.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I gotta get to work on my omega, been nearly a year with it. good little brush.