BK4 - Great customer service story and a question

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
owenm

BK4 - Great customer service story and a question

Post by owenm »

I think I have mentioned this before in the past, but I had a BK4 that started shedding quite alarmingly about 4 years after I bought it. I was a bit upset by this as it happened to be the brush that I shaved with on my wedding day. After the shedding got worse, I put it quietly in a cupboard and moved onto a few other brushes, including a BK8 I bought as a replacement.

A couple of weeks ago I got the BK4 out of the cupboard on a whim and gave it another go. Well, it shed about 15 hairs during the shave, but I got the most amazing lather out of it. Considering that the brush is about 7 years old at that point I didn't expect anything from Kent but I did write to them to ask if it was possible to get the brush reknotted at my cost. Unfortunately, they said they couldn't reknot my brush but would send me a replacement at no cost. I got it last week and it's just as good as the old one (although interestingly the resin is more yellowy and it has 'silver tip badger' on it instead of the old 'pure badger'). That's standing by your product. Well done, Kent.

They also didn't want my old brush back, so I think I would still like to get it reknotted if possible due to its sentimental value. Does anyone have any experiences of getting brushes reknotted, and can you recommend anyone to do it?
Cheers,
Owen
Rufus

Re: BK4 - Great customer service story and a question

Post by Rufus »

That is truly excellent customer service; good on Kent and on you for sharing it. As for re-knotting your old brush, there are many artisans around who will do that. I've used two: Rudy Vey and Vladimir Ferdman; very satisfactory results all round.
Bryan
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

kent does seem to be a good company.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kent -- the LL Bean of brushes.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
owenm

Post by owenm »

From what I hear, it's a shame LL Bean aren't in the UK, they sound like my sort of company. On the same note, has anyone had a brush reknotted by anyone in the EU?
Cheers,
Owen