GIANT new Plissoft synthetic shaving brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

GIANT new Plissoft synthetic shaving brush

Post by brothers »

Razorock THE HULK Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush

They just keep getting bigger for those among us who like big synthetic brushes.

Weight: ~9 oz

Total Height: ~150 mm

Handle Height: ~78 mm

Knot Size: ~34 mm x ~72 mm

Here's the link: http://www.italianbarber.com/collection ... ving-brush

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: GIANT new Plissoft synthetic shaving brush

Post by CMur12 »

That's huge, Gary!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

For comparison purposes, here are the specifications for the Monster Plissoft synthetic shaving brush:

Knot size: 26 mm x 63 mm

Height: ~120 mm

Weight: ~113 grams (3.9 ounces)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

I think it might be to big. I have a monster and I think that's big enough
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Big Brush.jpg
Big Brush.jpg (120.02 KiB) Viewed 6448 times

You want a big brush? That's a big brush. #24 Plisson HMW set in plexiglass shown next to a Chubby III set in ivory.

Buzz
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Before I saw the comment from Buzz, I was going to tell Gary "wait until Buzz sees this" :D :D :D

Im a fan of big brushes, but its a bit of a pita to load soaps like MdC etc

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

USPS tells me I should have mine by 22Aug2016. Review will be posted shortly thereafter.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Hulk arrived. Massive. Heavy. Here are two photos showing a Kent BK4 side by side with the Hulk. The knot height is 70mm.

Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Use in good health, gary

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was curious as to how the Razorock Hulk (synthetic) compares in dimension to the giant HMW(white collar instead of black) Plisson Plexi (badger):

Plisson: weight 8.49 ounces; loft 78mm; width 31mm
Razorock: weight 8.53 ounces; loft 70mm; width 36mm

Please note: both brushes appear to be nearly identical in overall height.
Both brushes are massive lather factories and are both as soft as a cloud.
Hulk has more backbone than Plisson, due of course to the width of the knot.
I apologize for the quality of my photographs.

Gary

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

That is a huge synthetic brush! How does it perform in comparison to the regular Plisson, Gary?
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
brothers

Post by brothers »

TheMonk wrote:That is a huge synthetic brush! How does it perform in comparison to the regular Plisson, Gary?
David, pretty much the same in terms of performance at a comparative cost of around 20/1 actually (no hyperbole). I understand why Plisson sells their own brand of synthetics. They like to remain in business.
Gary

M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

brothers wrote:I was curious as to how the Razorock Hulk (synthetic) compares in dimension to the giant HMW(white collar instead of black) Plisson Plexi (badger):
A plexi mounted Plisson with a white collar is filled with what Plisson called "European White" as opposed to "High Mountain White" with a black collar. The High Mountain was more expensive, but in my experience the only difference between the EW and HMW was the brilliance of the white tips on the HMW. Really, the performance of both grades of hair was identical. That said, no brush produced since by any manufacturer can equal the performance, appearance and durability of the vintage HMW and EW brushes up to about 1982. Plisson is again producing plexiglass handle brushes, but the badger is simply not equal to the vintage brushes.

Buzz
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I will echo Buzz's sentiment. I had a plexi european white and it was a fantastic lathering machine - even more so than the HMW Plisson I had years ago. That old HMW that I had was also a lathering machine but not as luxurious as the plexi.

The BK 4 and 12 are very close to the plexi's performance and feel IMHO. My Truefitt & Hill turnback in silver tip is third in line (and not too distant at that after a decade of use).

I can't compare the brushes I've used to a synthetic as I've never used a synthetic. I recommend you try and use what you like best.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have a Shavemac 220 giant, and it is clearly one of the best badger brushes out there, right there with the big Plisson EW and HMW brushes and the Kent P12 (discontinued Plexi version of the BK12). I got the Shavemac in a mystery box a few years ago.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm enjoying the big Hulk brush as I am in the final days of finishing off another tub of shaving soap. I'd call this a luxurious brush. It's really too big to be considered an everyday workhorse. Workhorse - yes! Every day - probably not so much. :D
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

big brushes are better, but pita to soap up because most containers arent sized correctly

clive