I've got a shedder

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Kyle76

I've got a shedder

Post by Kyle76 »

A brush I've owned for years has begun to shed. Two to four fibers per shave is the norm, sometimes more. Is there any hope for such a brush?
Jim
blantyre

Re: I've got a shedder

Post by blantyre »

Occasionally I've had brushes that shed for a while and then stop. It's more common that they keep shedding. As long as it's only 2-4 bristles per use the brush will last a long time before it thins out so much that it is no longer usable. I find shedders to be more annoying because the bristles can get into a razor than the actual loss of the knot. Luckily most of my brushes don't shed at all.
Rick
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Jim, if you've owned the brush for years and this phenomenon is a symptom of "old age." I would expect it to be an indication of deterioration or breaking down. Hard-worked fibers may be breaking at a low pivot/stress point or the glue plug that holds the knot may be breaking down. It could just be a defect in a small part of the knot or it could presage a general pattern of deterioration. This would be my reasoned guess, anyway.

- Murray
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Murray, this is one of the two lucite-handled Semogues I bought maybe 6-7 years ago at your suggestion. Until recently, it lived at our beach house, so its use was limited to maybe six times a month, on average, for most of its life. Interestingly, when I brought it back home, I found it was significantly bigger than the identical model that I had been using at home, so I began to use it daily. Recently, the shedding has begun, and it's an annoyance. If it continues, I might just dispose of it. I've owned many brushes over the last 10 years, including a couple of nice Plissons, but these Semogues have served me best. They are not so dense as to retain too much lather, so I find them perfect. I believe it is the 730 model in regular density, not HD.
Jim
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Jim, the Semogue 730 in normal density is my idea of the ideal silvertip brush. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with yours.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sorry to hear it Jim. Not trying to be impertinent, but maybe it's just time to replace it. This brings me to respectfully suggest one of the Plissoft synthetic brush options that abound at the Italian Barber (Razorock). If someone really likes the handle and prefers badger, then a replacement knot would be one way to go. At a cost of at least 5 times the expense of one of the synthetics.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The point of having a Semogue brush, in my opinion, is the Semogue brushhead, so I wouldn't be inclined to replace the loft with an independent brand. Semogue brushes are very reasonably priced and shedding isn't a common problem to the brand, so I would be inclined to replace the brush with another one like it. That being said, these are handmade brushes and they vary in their characteristics from one example to the next. I have the 2015, 2040, and 730, all of which have the same brushhead, in theory, and each one is a little different from the others. They were purchased at different times and probably came from different batches of badger hair, as well. Even so, I really like all three of them.

While I'm fascinated with the new synthetic brushes, I still have mixed reactions to the ones I have experienced, so far. My new Razorock Plissoft Ivory 22 (22mm knot) doesn't splay like natural hair or bristle, though it is a little better than earlier synthetics. I think this might be one reason why large synthetic brushes are popular, probably because with such a large brushhead splay isn't needed. Does this make sense to those of you who have large versions of these brushes?

I have an HJM Black Fibre brush with only a 19mm knot, and it splays pretty well. I may still need to try one of the Muehle or EJ synthetics.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, your suggestion about the comparative splay of a larger synthetic could be accurate. I can't say for sure because I haven't paid attention to comparing the extent of splay in any of my brushes, I have to admit. I've always depended on my seat-of-the-pants overall feel for how well the brushes create and hold their lather. Back to the original shedding problem, it's virtually non-existent with the mainstream synthetics.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

Murray, in my experience you are right. I have two of the large synthetics, both with the plissoft fibers, and the long loft and large knots don't require that they splay a great deal. My third synthetic has a much smaller knot and shorter loft and it doesn't splay well at all. Also, it doesn't have the softer plissoft fiber which could account for the difference. In any case, I much prefer the large brushes. Finally, shedding is not an issue with the synthetics. I've never noticed a loss of a single fiber on any of the three.
Best regards,

Basil
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I have had a couple of fibers shed from a synthetic brush, but nothing more.

Since my last post, I tried a Razorock Plissoft brush with a 24mm knot and my impression is that the loft is large enough that splay isn't an issue. It's too big for me, however, as it requires more soap and it takes longer to lather.

Back to Semogue: I have five Semogue badger brushes (and I once had a sixth) and three Semogue boar brushes, and I have had no issue with shedding. The occasional shedder has shown up in many top brands, not characteristic of their normal production. I haven't heard of this as a problem with Semogue, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new replacement from this brand.

- Murray
oldjoe

Post by oldjoe »

I have several synthetic knot brushes. They all work well. But, recently I purchased a Tuxedo synthetic knot on ETSY, put it in an old large white Vintage brush handle and I think it is the best brush I've used so far. It has very firmly packed fibers with uber soft tips and also plenty of backbone. The brush loads easily, lathers easily, Rinses out easily and dries very quickly. I have a nice Simpson best badger brush but I like the Tuxedo synthetic a lot more. Each time I use it it startles me as to how nice the brush feels. Just MHO.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I hear you, Joe. I doubt we'll be seeing any reports of frequent shedding from within the synthetic brush movement. Seems that is another big benefit of the synthetic brushes. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying yours!
Gary