Is the Kent BK4 still a good buy?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Is the Kent BK4 still a good buy?

Post by nodaktim »

When I was more active on the forum there was lots of talk about the Kent BK4 Brush. I never pulled the trigger on ordering one. Now that I am back on SMF, I find myself ordering blades, a razor (my first Gillette Super Adjustable) and a few other things I am tempted by and feel a missed out on before.

I already have my Rooney "Emillion", a Rooney Super and Edwin Jagger Best Badger. Will the Kent fill a void or just be another brush similar to one of my Rooneys?

I know the Kent BK4 is still suggested to newer members that want to move up from an EJ (or C&E) Best, but what about compared to my other brushes. I see the prices have gone up, so I am exploring sites for prices, but worry about diminishing returns.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
CMur12

Re: Is the Kent BK4 still a good buy?

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Tim -

Though there isn't as much discussion about the BK4 now as before, everything I have seen posted about it remains to be positive. It has a fairly dense knot and a fairly tall loft, which together doesn't feel as dense as it actually is. If you are looking for the ultimate in backbone for face-lathering, it might disappoint you, but it is widely regarded as a very effective brush and it would offer you a different experience from the brushes you already have.

As I recall, these brushes have always been expensive when purchased through the US distributor, so members used to purchase them directly from England. I don't know if this is still the case.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

To answer the question yes, the BK4 is still a good buy. I prefer it to my Rooney Emillion and Super. That's not to say it's superior to those models, rather that I like it more.
Regards,
Squire
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Thank you Murray and Squire for the replies. I was afraid of this. The A.D. monster is rearing it's ugly head again.

What would you consider a good price these days?
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I still have one or two BK4s hanging around. I think I gave one to Gordon. It's a very soft and rather thin brush, but it makes a lather that is far thicker and more profuse than you would expect. I don't know how it does this, but it does it very reliably. For me, it falls down on applying the lather in that I enjoy the feeling of a brush with at least some backbone on my face. If you want one, let me know and I'll make you an offer you can't refuse. I believe I have it's bigger brothers hanging around somewhere. What were they? BK8 and BK12?

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

8 and 12 yes, same theme writ larger I believe.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was surprised to learn that the loft of the BK4 is the same as the BK8. The difference between the two is that the diameter of the plug pf the BK8 is larger than the plug in the BK4.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

BK4 does have a different feel to my othe 33 badgers. It is soft and cloud-like without much backbone, but not floppy per se. It's a have to have in my collection although it won't replace my Thater and shavemac 3-band silvertips. For whatever reason all Kent products are marked up in Canada and the USA; I bought mine from the Shaving Shack in England at a much better price than I would have paid in Canada.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I would rush to take up Chris on his offer, but an alternative: vulfix 2234 :D :D :D AKA IK (imitation kent) $55'ish

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I have the Kent BK4, and it is a good buy with the price of the Pound vs. the Dollar. However, I much prefer my Kent Infinity Silvertex Brush at a fraction of the price of the BK4. It really is a wonderful synthetic brush.
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

I anxiously await the arrival of my brush. Dr. Moss was right, it is deal I could not refuse.

Thank you again.
~ Tim ~

brothers

Post by brothers »

Congrats! The BK4 is legendary.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Looking forward to read your comments Tim :)
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

The eagle has landed...err...um...the badger has arrived!! :D
Kent BK4
Kent BK4
Kent BK4.jpg (176.49 KiB) Viewed 6991 times
I have not had a chance to use it yet, but wanted to post a couple of pictures to show the size compared to my other brushes.
Kent BK4 among his new family
Kent BK4 among his new family
Kent BK4 among his new family.jpg (68.06 KiB) Viewed 6991 times
From left to right:

Proraso Professional Shaving brush (Omega model unknown)*
* [purchased about 10 years ago from Target, when they briefly carried Proraso products].

Rooney "Emillion" [original batch from Vintageblades]

Kent BK4 [from Dr. Moss (thank you again)]

Rooney Super

Edwin Jagger Best Badger (medium 21 knot)
After bath time for brushes
After bath time for brushes
After bath time for brushes.jpg (93.98 KiB) Viewed 6991 times
~ Tim ~

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tim, enjoy!

My BK4 is fantastic. Acquired a few years ago it is a wonderful performer even if it's not my daily driver. I tend to use it when I want to stray from my mainstay Taylor's of Old Bond Street Vintage Potassium Stearate Shaving soap. The scents of most other soaps and creams tend to stay.

I don't know what the quality of the BK4 is nowadays but I'll guess it's the same as the days of yore. If so, you're in for a treat as it is a wonderful lather generator rivaling the old Plisson plexi-glass handled brushes in European White (the functional equivalent of the HMW of it's day per reliable sources).

Enjoy in good health.

Best,
Chris
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

I have suspended my blade trials for now as I wanted to try out the BK4 for Christmas.

This brush retained plenty of water, yet released it quite easily. It lathered quickly using Trumper's GFT cream. It made enough lather for about 5-6 passes using the same amount of cream I use for about 3 passes using my Rooney Super.

The clean up was a breeze as it released all of the lather with only a light squeeze of the bristles and rinsed out easily.

I am looking forward to using this brush more and seeing how it performs. So far it seems to be a top quality brush in all respects. If it continues to perform as I think it will, it will probably become my go-to daily driver.
~ Tim ~

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Glad to hear the BK4 is working so well for you, Tim. It was commendable of Chris to send it your way.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Glad to hear the BK4 is working so well for you, Tim. It was commendable of Chris to send it your way.
ditto + 67 thumbs up

clive
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

CMur12 wrote:Glad to hear the BK4 is working so well for you, Tim. It was commendable of Chris to send it your way.

- Murray
Thank you Murray. I agree it was very generous and as you said "commendable" of Chris. After today's shave (2nd using BK4), it is quickly becoming my go-to brush.
~ Tim ~

brothers

Post by brothers »

It's great that it's working out to be a good brush for you. Chris is known to be very generous.
But now we still have the original question - is it a good buy? Depends on the price, right! :D
Gary