Why buy Simpsons brushes?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Gary Young

Re: Why buy Simpsons brushes?

Post by Gary Young »

Hi Guys,

This is probably my first view of the forums for a about a year. Hope those of you that I chatted with previously are keeping well.

I've read more negatives than positives in regards to 'why buy Simpson brushes'. Real shame as so much hard work was put in for some many years by my family to make the name respected and the brushes sought after.

Gary
Gary
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Gary -

It's a pleasure to see you here again!

It seems that the market has been flooded with less expensive brushes from China and people see less reason to spend as much for a fine shaving brush than we once did. I hope the fine historic brushes of England and Europe survive this onslaught and that they will continue to be an option for the serious wetshaver.

I know you had some bad experiences on some of the shaving forums in the past, but it would be nice to see more of you here again.

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

CMur12 wrote:Hi Gary -

It seems that the market has been flooded with less expensive brushes from China and people see less reason to spend as much for a fine shaving brush than we once did. I hope the fine historic brushes of England and Europe survive this onslaught and that they will continue to be an option for the serious wetshaver.

I know you had some bad experiences on some of the shaving forums in the past, but it would be nice to see more of you here again.

- Murray
Hear, hear. Good to see you again Gary.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

definitely nice to see you out and about

if its any consolation, I have enough simpson brushes to sink a dinghy :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gary, it is very good to see you here again.

My most desired Simpson brush would be a Polo 14. I like the large brushes. More specifically, I'd want the 14 knot set into either a 10 or 12 handle. At one point the current management kindly agreed to make one for me, but I never found myself in a position to place that order.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote:

- Murray
I should add that quality and good customer service never go out of style. So far so good with Mark and the crew at Vulfix...let the tradition continue.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Your presence is always welcome Gary.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Rufus wrote:
Rufus wrote:

- Murray
I should add that quality and good customer service never go out of style. So far so good with Mark and the crew at Vulfix...let the tradition continue.
I have never bought a Simpsons brush that I thought had even a smidgeon of "bad brush" aura around it. And yes, the customer service is great.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Yes good to see you hear again Gary. I'm still using my Gary Young LE M7 regularly, great brush and still going strong!
Still alot of Simpson's fans here.
Rob
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

- Murray
I very much doubt that cheap brushes will kill the market for high end ones. Wet shaving is becoming more and more popular so access to cheap brushes and other tackle helps people to get started without a big investment. A few of them will inevitably get hooked no seek out the high end stuff, including Simpson brushes. Ironically since practically all the badger hair comes from China they should be in a good position to make some really high end "Manchurian" grade brushes.
Rick
jar

Post by jar »

Gary Young wrote:Hi Guys,

This is probably my first view of the forums for a about a year. Hope those of you that I chatted with previously are keeping well.

I've read more negatives than positives in regards to 'why buy Simpson brushes'. Real shame as so much hard work was put in for some many years by my family to make the name respected and the brushes sought after.

Gary
I own more Simpson Brushes than any other single make, not the most expensive of my brushes but certainly some of my favorites.

Is a Simpson right for everyone? Probably not. But it is a great example of what craftsmanship adds to the experience. And I must admit I do enjoy things made by craftsmen.

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jar wrote:
Gary Young wrote:Hi Guys,

Gary
I own more Simpson Brushes than any other single make, not the most expensive of my brushes but certainly some of my favorites.

Is a Simpson right for everyone? Probably not. But it is a great example of what craftsmanship adds to the experience. And I must admit I do enjoy things made by craftsmen.

Nice looking fountain pens. Are they Nakaya?
Bryan
jar

Post by jar »

Rufus wrote: Nice looking fountain pens. Are they Nakaya?
The top group are Nakaya while the bottom is one of my Danitrio fountain pens.