Shavemac DO-1 2 band knot

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
SRD

Shavemac DO-1 2 band knot

Post by SRD »

Do any of you guys have any experience with the Shavemac DO-1 2 band knot? What are your thoughts? I am thinking of having one made with a fan shaped knot and would like to get some thoughts from those who own one. Thanks jbrothers.
Dave
Rufus

Re: Shavemac DO-1 2 band knot

Post by Rufus »

Because of the lack of replies I think you should check out the Against the Grain forum, where there are several members who are very knowledgeable on the various shavemac hair grades. I haven't tried the DO1 2-band because I understand that it is dense and has lots of backbone, which is not what I want in a knot. My favourite shavemac badger is their finest, but I also like their 3-band silvertip and regular 2-band silvertip.
Bryan
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Rudy Vey put one in an old handle for me. As the previous poster said, dense, lots of backbone, soft tips and decent flow though. If you like a floppy brush you should avoid these like the plague. If you like Rooney finest type brushes they would be a good choice.
Rick
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I believe I have a couple of Shavemac 2 bands in the office (I don't remember selling or swapping them, though I'm sure I swapped something with Sam for his Beehive Rooney).
Photos are at the end of this post. I ended up finding them a bit too dense for my tastes, which have softened up along with the rest of me.
If I still have them I'd be willing to sell.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Resurrecting this post
Funny how are tastes change
That beehive, it was a one-off at the time from the company that was Rooney
Loved that style Never could get on with the Tulip from Simpsons of the handle that looked like a handle to a sword
Then went synthetic and rid myself of all badgers.

Now, jonesing the badger
Wish I never had sold that first group Shavemac we did with the exotic wood.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

a smf brush, Sam?
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yes, that first SMF brush Was great. And I doubt if there are any around for sale. So I’m thinking of some of these newer badger shave brushes from West Coast shave or Sterling soaps or places like that
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you think about it, that first (and the second) SMF brush was simply a Shavemac in a fancy handle. Maybe a Shavemac would suit you again now?
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:14 am
Now, jonesing the badger
At first I thought this was an unnatural act since I’m not familiar with the term “jonesing”. I’ve now looked up the meaning.

Back on topic: shavemac makes excellent brushes and you can customize the brush that you want. This feature comes at a price, however. A more affordable option would be a Semogue 2-band silvertip; excellent quality and top tier performance.
Last edited by Rufus on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

maybe for all the money in texas, but nothing less :D :D :D :D
https://ibb.co/p3FRp1z

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

If I should ever stumble over one of the original SMF limited edition brushes, I'll buy it with no questions asked! :D

I have only one Shavemac, but it's a large silvertip, not DO-1 2 band. It's an excellent brush.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

You should have hung onto them!

Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, I acquire and then having too many choices seems to make me feel greedy, wasteful, so I pare down. Yes, I regret getting rid of razors, soaps, creams, brushes, colognes. Sometimes I think the fun is in the acquisition, not the usage.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:40 am Chris, I acquire and then having too many choices seems to make me feel greedy, wasteful, so I pare down. Yes, I regret getting rid of razors, soaps, creams, brushes, colognes. Sometimes I think the fun is in the acquisition, not the usage.
Quite right: the thrill is in the chase
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well, it doesn't involve much of a chase, but I have more brushes than I know what to do with (including a certain Rooney Beehive). Would you like it back?
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Would you like it back?
=D> =D> :shock: =D> :shock: =D> :shock: =D> =D> =D>

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

=D>
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, the beehive handle rocks for me. But I do miss the XL Shavemac, i think it was the 28 or30 mm knot, that was just so luxurious on my face. I know Gordon loved the tulip and the Chubby was always just a Simpson. But that beehive and in butterscotch (never had this color, just saw pics).

Dont know what to think of the shape of this handle
https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collection ... knot-green

Well, unless I just go cheap just to be having one, getting the Shavemac or a beehive seems to make sense. I have been out of the Shavemac game for so long so I dont know what the preferred hair/knot is. And since I have a beard, 22 or 24 mm makes sense, my synthetic is 24mm. But oh, the feel of 30mm on your face!!
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

The shape of the handle is great, but the colour not so much. As for shavemac knots, my favourite is Finest, but that may not have enough backbone for you. I don’t like overly dense or stiff knots, however, so a DO 1 is out of the question for me. As for the size of the knot, my sweet spot is 22 - 24 mm, although I will go up to 26 mm for the right hair. I currently own 6 shavemacs and the real stand out is the Beehive in faux ivory with a Finest knot. BTW, the shavemac Configurator has a chart and written description of the properties of each grade of badger they offer.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I like the green, but that's just me. Bryan has a good point about the Shavemac website. I love to browse around it because of the wide variety of the choices that are available to meet most guys' preferences in a brush.
Gary