finally broken in the vdh brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
mrjediconsular

finally broken in the vdh brush

Post by mrjediconsular »

i finally broken in the cheap vdh (boar or badger couldnt tell) brush i got a year ago for my birthday :shock: and i consider this a acomplishment on my wet shaving journey and i used it today with the razorrock shaving soap i have and it lathered very well but i still need to practice with it to get it to the same or close to the same level as the synthetic i got from gary
Jordan
CMur12

Re: finally broken in the vdh brush

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Jordan -

I've heard that the VdH boar brush isn't bad once properly broken in (that is, the bristle-tips all split), but it is reputed to take a helluva long time to get there. Now that you have that behind you, may you enjoy your brush! :)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good to hear! Sometimes it takes time and patience to get one broken in, but it's worth it in the long run.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gee! It's been a very long time since my VDH shave kit boar. But they might have an additional higher quality brush now. I had almost forgotten that's what I started with. It's not a great brush and far from the worst I've used, but it definitely shows you have perseverance to break in the boar. It will definitely do the job. Mine began falling apart however and I eventually just tossed it and moved on to other brushes. I hope you have better luck with yours. But kudus on braking it in!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

i dont really plan on using it much i just wanted to see if it it got bertter as i broke it in. i might try a better brush someday but at least i know how soft the brush can get. i still pefer my synthetic though
Jordan
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have a cheap Tweezerman badger brush that works but is a bit skimpy on bristles. That could be a second step for you.
Ouchmychin (Pete)