Kent brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Re: Kent brush

Post by brothers »

jww wrote: . . . much more shelf space than we had pre-reno.
More space! Watch out!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I had a BK12 many years ago - it was far to big to be practical - about 4" across once fully bloomed. A beautiful brush but I've settled on 20-24 mm knots. I would go for the BK4 myself, possibly the 8 if you like larger brushes. The 12 is fun - much like a V12 engined car - but impractical to keep fed and watered.
Rick
jar

Post by jar »

My 12 & 8 are in the weekend rotation and so each get used about once a month. The 2 & 4 are in my weekday rotation and so get used about twice a month.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I haven't had the pleasure of using a 2, but the others are as good as any, bar none.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jar

Post by jar »

brothers wrote:I haven't had the pleasure of using a 2, but the others are as good as any, bar none.
The 2 is the same size as the 4 but Pure Badger instead of Silvertip.
brothers

Post by brothers »

jar wrote:
brothers wrote:I haven't had the pleasure of using a 2, but the others are as good as any, bar none.
The 2 is the same size as the 4 but Pure Badger instead of Silvertip.
Very interesting. I have not known that before. Thanks!
Gary

CSG

Post by CSG »

I'm with those that said the BK4 could be their only brush but I prefer medium over larger brushes.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

CSG wrote:I'm with those that said the BK4 could be their only brush but I prefer medium over larger brushes.
Congratulations on your first post, CSG. Glad to have you join us!

- Murray
jar

Post by jar »

CSG wrote:I'm with those that said the BK4 could be their only brush but I prefer medium over larger brushes.
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Welcome aboard CSG.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Welcome to SMF!
Gary

Vincev

Re: Kent brush: follow up

Post by Vincev »

I finally purchased a Kent BK8 which I purchased on eBay and I am glad I did not pay full price for the brush. I purchased the brush for $75 and the seller claimed he only used it about 10 times and I think he was honest. The brush is in excellent condition and came with the Kent case, Kent brush stand and all the paperwork.
The reason I am glad I did not pay full price is the brush is very soft (softest brush I ever used) but too floppy. I have only used it with creams and cannot believe it will load up a good soap, but I will try. The experience is so different from my Shavemac 26mm 2ban, my Big Bruce and my Semogue Owners club. With all being said I am glad I purchased the Kent. It is nice being able to add a different experiences to my shaving.
I am now looking at a Thater or a Palidin but am concerned they may be a lot like my Shavemac which I absolutely love. And if they will be similar to my Shavemac why spend the money.

Vince
jar

Re: Kent brush: follow up

Post by jar »

Vincev wrote:I finally purchased a Kent BK8 which I purchased on eBay and I am glad I did not pay full price for the brush. I purchased the brush for $75 and the seller claimed he only used it about 10 times and I think he was honest. The brush is in excellent condition and came with the Kent case, Kent brush stand and all the paperwork.
The reason I am glad I did not pay full price is the brush is very soft (softest brush I ever used) but too floppy. I have only used it with creams and cannot believe it will load up a good soap, but I will try. The experience is so different from my Shavemac 26mm 2ban, my Big Bruce and my Semogue Owners club. With all being said I am glad I purchased the Kent. It is nice being able to add a different experiences to my shaving.
I am now looking at a Thater or a Palidin but am concerned they may be a lot like my Shavemac which I absolutely love. And if they will be similar to my Shavemac why spend the money.

Vince
I used my Kent BLK8 day before yesterday with Prorosa soap. I've also used it with soaps from Sterling and Tabac. Works fine.

I find that my Thaters are very similar to my Kents and may be even softer on my face. Both work really well with soaps and creams.
Vincev

Post by Vincev »

I will try tabac in the morning and let you know the results
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

floppy is where its at, man! :D :D :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
Vincev

Post by Vincev »

This morning was the first time I used my BK8 with a soap (Tabac) and Jars was correct, The BK8 loaded with no problem. However as I was loading I missed the backbone of my Shavemac and my Semogue boar brush. For me the BK8 will be a brush to use with creams not soaps.

Vince
brothers

Post by brothers »

Vincev wrote:This morning was the first time I used my BK8 with a soap (Tabac) and Jars was correct, The BK8 loaded with no problem. However as I was loading I missed the backbone of my Shavemac and my Semogue boar brush. For me the BK8 will be a brush to use with creams not soaps.

Vince
Great with creams, that's for sure!
Gary

jar

Post by jar »

Vincev wrote:This morning was the first time I used my BK8 with a soap (Tabac) and Jars was correct, The BK8 loaded with no problem. However as I was loading I missed the backbone of my Shavemac and my Semogue boar brush. For me the BK8 will be a brush to use with creams not soaps.

Vince
Glad it worked. Boar and Badger really do give different experiences as do the synthetics and horse hair. But what I enjoy are those differences. A badger brush should not feel like a boar brush just as a synthetic brush should feel like a synthetic brush, not boar, badger or horse hair. Variety and character are as much a part of the experience as the lather itself.