Semogue Caravela Mistura in Taj Resin

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: Semogue Caravela Mistura in Taj Resin

Post by TRBeck »

This brush continues to impress after almost 4 weeks of daily use. It gins up incredible lather from soaps, it holds a huge volume of lather, it gives a nice scrub without scritch, and it came in at 60 bucks. The shape and size of the bloom is lovely and classic. I did a shave with the smallest of my synthetics a couple of days ago and found the experience a bit lacking (no feel from the brush). While the lather came together easily, I didn't enjoy the process of building it on my face nearly as much. I certainly do like the larger synthetics generally, but they still don't feel like natural hair.

If you are fond of the softer versions of Simpson Best hair or Shavemac Finest, I think the Semogue Mistura is an unbelievable performer and a world-class value. If you like less scrubby badger, this may not be for you. I must emphasize, though, that the brush is not a lather hog and is not scritchy at all after the first shave or two.

I bought a backup with a discount code from Phil and will use this Semogue daily for the foreseeable future.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

I just made up a brush using a mixed knot, 70% 2 band badger and 30% boar. I bought the knot from Maggard's and it's 24mm and nice and dense. I'm a big boar fan they're my favorite brush but this brush has a distinct feel to it.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I've been wondering about that knot, Oscar. Almost ordered one this week but I haven't read enough reviews. I like boar, but I want to make sure the knot avoids the scritch of some lesser (read: not Omega or Semogue) boars.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

My first impression of this knot is positive but I'll admit to being a boar fan, they're my favorite brushes. I'd describe the feel as a refined coarseness. It's not prickly in the least. My only regret is putting it in a wood handle (bloodwood).
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Refined coarseness is a great description of good boar knots. Sounds like a winner. Maybe soon I can add one to an order.

The handle looks great. What did you coat it with?
Regards,
Tim

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Many coats of tung oil. There's 8 coats on this one.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have no comment on the brush head, and will leave it to those who know. However, the handle is eye candy on the highest level. Nothing short of a work of art.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Oscar, do you mind telling me which size knot you got and what loft you set it at? I'm eyeing the 24mm and 26mm.
Regards,
Tim

blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I’ve been using the ash handle version of this brush for several days now. Very impressive performance, it seems as if this really does capture the best features of badger and boar without any of the downsides of either one. Not inexpensive but still good value IMO.
Rick
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

The Semogue Mistura knot remains one of my favorites. I use it regularly and have considered making it my only brush. It has also wound up being a gateway drug of sorts: I now favor Semogue boars over Omegas. Semogue has avoided gel-tipping its badgers and maintained tighter QC than Omega on its boars. This brush, though, is the most unique thing they offer, and it is well worth its price tag.
Regards,
Tim

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Today I was reminded of how remarkable the characteristics of this knot really are. It feels dense and larger than its nominal size. It has loads of backbone. At the same time, its lather release is superior to any badger brush I've used. The face lathering process is nearly as fast as with a synthetic and more enjoyable due to the scrubby-but-soft-tipped combination. It is unique in my experience of brushes, closest in character to a D01 3-band from Shavemac or a really good Best from Simpson but beating both of them at actually putting the lather on your face instead of holding it in the heart of the knot.

Ultimately, the Mistura just feels like I think a shaving brush ought to feel, sturdy and full and firm and plush all at once. Elemental, yet luxurious. I have a perpetual case of SBAD, but if I were to have only one, it'd be this brush. It feels like wetshaving the way bay rum or Proraso green smell like wetshaving, the way a straight or an SE sounds like wetshaving, the way a mug of Old Spice soap looks like wetshaving.
Regards,
Tim

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm always tempted, as many of us are, to add one of these to my small group of really good shaving brushes. Thanks for sharing your observations and results. I may be mistaken, but I believe Semogue is the only well-known brush maker that currently offers the mixture. I thought I had seen someone else selling these, but now I can't seem to find it. Regardless, if I get one, it'll be Semogue.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Gary, there are some badger/boar mixed knots sold loose by APShave and Maggard, but the ratio of hair is different, and I have not enjoyed them at all. Semogue says 50/50 boar/badger on these, and it's good 2-band badger. The AP/Maggard knots are scritchy as all heck and very, very dense, so lather release isn't great. The Semogue just feels nice and scrubby.
Regards,
Tim

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

TRBeck wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:57 am Gary, there are some badger/boar mixed knots sold loose by APShave and Maggard, but the ratio of hair is different, and I have not enjoyed them at all. Semogue says 50/50 boar/badger on these, and it's good 2-band badger. The AP/Maggard knots are scritchy as all heck and very, very dense, so lather release isn't great. The Semogue just feels nice and scrubby.
I agree that the Semogue is an excellent badger. In fact, I wouldn’t know that it is a mix by its look or face-feel: it feels like a high quality dense, 2-band silver tip to me.
Bryan