2019-100yrs since my family started the business

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Gary Young

2019-100yrs since my family started the business

Post by Gary Young »

Back in 1919 my family started the shaving brush business that created so many designs still seen today.
Well 2019, 100yrs since their ideas became reality, seems an apt time to fire up a lathe, tie some knots and see if I can muster up some of the Simpson family craft skills.
Is it time for one of the family to get back into brush making and rekindle the passion...?
Gary
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: 2019-100yrs since my family started the business

Post by fallingwickets »

best of luck with your endeavours....as an fyi i own so may simpson brushes i could start my own store :D All this to say I doubt I would be a customer of yours; sorry about that!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

If you have the skill and knowledge not to mention the financial wherewithal, why not? I assume there are no non-compete agreements with our Manx chums. I’d consider buying one provided the knot was no bigger than 24 mm and not overly dense or firm: ideally something like the Colonel with a best knot. Also, offered in traditional handle colours, such as faux ivory and butterscotch, and not in colours more at home in a sweet Shop than as a brush handle.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

One way to find out would be to make an assorted batch and see how they do on the market. The brush industry seems so much different than before, makes me wonder what's actually selling these days. I suspect the modern-day buyers are looking for some styles, materials, and colors that would be an exciting and stimulating departure from the days of yore, and some great looking and performing fibers. I think the word I'm looking for would be innovative. The mature brush-shaving generation probably has about all of the old styles they ever wanted. If you decide to go there, I wish you all the best.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, congratulations on 100 years of Simpson brushes! It's always good to hear from you.

I don't really have my finger on the pulse of the brush market, so I don't know what would work now. People are buying much less expensive brushes with synthetic lofts, as well as brushes made in China. If you got back into brush-making, I think it would be for a niche market of hard core wetshaving enthusiasts who wanted the very finest in hand-crafted brushes.

- Murray
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

With a legacy like yours I'd be making shavings on the lathe.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Sounds great!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

I'm also interested in what's selling these days.* I sense it'd be harder to break into the market now than it would have been 10-15 years ago. You can get a quality semogue boar for the price of a couple of coffees, or a good synthetic for a similar price. Having said that I think there will always be some market for high end/luxury gear. Good luck.

*in particular id like to know the long term sales figures of say, Plisson.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

So good to see you again , Gary.
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

And yes , its time for you to go back to the business of brush making.
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

Thanks for the replies so far!
I’m thinking of a mix of traditional designs and something a bit more contemporary. I’ve been thinking what the original family brush makers would consider today if they were starting up and have a few designs I’m going to play with for starters.
Different handle materials are a consideration as well.
I’d like to think I could offer a ‘bespoke’ service also. Something ‘individual’ for the individual.
Gary
Gary
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Very nice idea. My 90th anniversary Astor gets regular use in the rotation - it's a great brush. Perhaps some kind of LE (100 pieces?) to kick things off? My personal sweet spot is ~22 mm fan - I don't like "mega brushes" like the BK12 although they are impressive when bloomed. Which way to go is a hard call - something very traditional like a 2 band curvy PJ with a nice ivorine handle or a synthetic with a radical design moonjava handle! If I were in I'd probably prefer a conservative classic with some kind of marking (preferably lampblacked) to indicate the 100y anniversary.
Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gary, the idea of custom one-off brushes is a great one. I think owning a custom made brush from Mr. Gary Young would be outstanding.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

This is getting better each day.Hope this can happen , Gary.
melyus
Vendor

Post by melyus »

My unique Brushes.Hope this help.
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Gary , how's the project going ?
rev579

Post by rev579 »

Gary Young wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:05 am Thanks for the replies so far!
I’m thinking of a mix of traditional designs and something a bit more contemporary. I’ve been thinking what the original family brush makers would consider today if they were starting up and have a few designs I’m going to play with for starters.
Different handle materials are a consideration as well.
I’d like to think I could offer a ‘bespoke’ service also. Something ‘individual’ for the individual.
Gary
That would be pretty cool!
David • Eἰς ἀνήρ οὐδεί ἀνήρ • Rom 12:2 • NEW Short Comb • Goodwill 162 • Senator • Thin Cap 102 • ABC • 1905 100
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, rev579 (David?)!

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on what murray said :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
GaryYoung

Post by GaryYoung »

Hi All,
I hope everyone is as well as can be expected considering current times...
It must be an age thing but I have forgotten my old profile log in, hence the new one!
Well it’s taken some time to get to this stage but...brushes are soon to be made. Handmade by me here in Dorset, UK.
I am going to produce some handle designs that have never before seen the light of day from the family archives. Original family conceived designs that never got into production. I am also going to produce some handle designs of my own. Styles a little bit away from the norm...
I will be working mainly in wood, primarily satin wood (and others), but also using recycled plastics.
The knots will be made by the original family method-not seen since the 90s.
All handmade by me and only me.
I am also going to be offering a bespoke service. I will work with the individual to produce a design to suit-completely unique.
Realistically, I will be turning the first brushes in August/September.
I will keep the forum updated with progress.
Take care all.
Gary
Attachments
40BF2524-E5B2-4A85-BD86-C1B0239BE486.png
40BF2524-E5B2-4A85-BD86-C1B0239BE486.png (85.32 KiB) Viewed 9892 times