simpson's have improved

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
gil3591

simpson's have improved

Post by gil3591 »

ten years ago simpson had a shedding problem. at that time i thought they were highly overrated and any other brand with a machine made knot was much better. many guys on this thread complained about shedding and sending brushes back to simpson. this was the time period when simpson and vulfix merged. how times have changed! (at least for me). last summer i purchased a commodore x3 in best and a chubby 2 in best. i don't think either of them has lost a single hair! the knots don't mushroom out when face lathering and they feel great! i got to hand it to simpson.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
John Rose

Re: simpson's have improved

Post by John Rose »

I got a Special 1/Best Badger and a Wee Scot about 2-3 years ago, and they've only lost a couple.
Certainly nothing to complain about.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Gil and John -

As I recall, the shedders were the last pre-Vulfix Somerset Simpsons.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's true that Simpson's lost some experienced employees just before their sale to Vulfix, and had an issue with shedding at the time. Brushes before that period, and those made since the sale, have been fine. Of course, the quality of the hair has changed, but that isn't, perhaps, the fault of Vulfix as badger hair from farmed Chinese badgers has been of wretched quality compared to the good stuff of yore. A vintage Simpson is as good as a brush gets.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

quality compared to the good stuff of yore. A vintage Simpson is as good as a brush gets.
Gil, if youre interested in buying back the chubby 3, $95,000. Have to cough up the cash for quality, bro :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

The last time I had a Simpson brush that shed was in 1997. I took it back to the vendor who replaced it with a Simpson brush of my choice without question. Currently I own 6 Simpson brushes dating back 10 years or longer, I think one dates back to the pre-Vulfix era, and have had no shedding problems at all. Each has a different quality hair: 1 pure, 2 Best, 1 Super, 1 2-band and 1 Manchurian. Simpson Best remains my favourite badger along with shavemac Finest.
Bryan
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

back in the timeline we were discussing i had a polo 8 in best that was my favorite all time brush. of course, stupid me sold it! i remember it was a bit scritchy on the face but the new brushes i purchased seem to have softer tips. i guess this may be to what dr. moss was referring to, what with the new type of badger hair. i'm thinking i now need to aquire a polo 8 after i sell clyde my chubby 2 in best! :D
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i forgot to mention,,, a while back there was a vendor that would show pics of the simpson brushes he had in stock. i can't recall his name now, but does anyone remember this website? i'm wondering if he's still around. was it shoe box shave shop???
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
Janus

Post by Janus »

Gil, I think you mean 'thesuperiorshave.com'. They used to post pics of their actual stock.
Janus
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I wonder what happened there...was a good shop.

Unfortunately, pics dont populate, but for ref:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180817191 ... es.html#T2
brothers

Post by brothers »

The website is still up and running. He's got some good looking Simpson's up for sale, still showing the actual item. Here's where I found them:

https://thesuperiorshave.com/products/

Don't know what happened to the "human brush" --- :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks gary....had this bookmarked: https://thesuperiorshave.com/index.html which returns, page cannot be found

clive
nav

Post by nav »

Simpson Commodore X2 Best...my all time favorite badger brush!!
The handle shape is the most gorgeous I've ever seen.

No shedding issues and the knot/hair is perfection!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've found myself enjoying an entirely different class of brush after spending many years with my Omega boar brush. I have a ridiculous number of old Simpsons - not old as in antique, but nearly all made in Somerset. I used to like the Chubby 2 best of all, and also like the larger Polos and Persian Jars. Now I'm trying them out again, I find myself drawn to the smaller brushes. The Major, the 57, The Colonel XL2, The Emperor E3, and some third party rebranded Simpson called The Grosvenor. It's weird; I use to be able to use a Kent BK12, and now I like such tiny brushes. I'm stumped. But happy.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I suspect it's the thrill of trying them out for the first time again.

I know for me this can be a thrill. It's been so long since I've used something that when I use it again it's like it's new all over again.

If it's the same for you I have a feeling you'll be enjoying yourself for a long time to come.

Enjoy!

Chris
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:00 pm I've found myself enjoying an entirely different class of brush after spending many years with my Omega boar brush. I have a ridiculous number of old Simpsons - not old as in antique, but nearly all made in Somerset. I used to like the Chubby 2 best of all, and also like the larger Polos and Persian Jars. Now I'm trying them out again, I find myself drawn to the smaller brushes. The Major, the 57, The Colonel XL2, The Emperor E3, and some third party rebranded Simpson called The Grosvenor. It's weird; I use to be able to use a Kent BK12, and now I like such tiny brushes. I'm stumped. But happy.
I still have a handwritten note somewhere from (forget his first name), think it was Mr. Carter? Apologizing for a defective brush I had sent back years ago in the final months of Simpson’s in Somerset.
Richard
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm so enjoying my Simpson Major in Super i have ordered up a second one. Mustn't run out...
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

a real mccoy LOL
dridiot

Post by dridiot »

I have had the experience of dealing with Simpsons former boss, Mr Carter.
A absolute gentleman!
~ Jason ~
Double Edge Shaving Place - Simpsons and Omega Shaving Brushes / DE Blades / DE Blade Samplers / Grooming Products & MORE available OR PM me....
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

I bought a Simpsons Beaufort B5 while on vacation last year. I know I paid too much for it, but hey: (a) it was a vacation purchase; and, (b) it's a Simpsons!

I found that if I apply too much pressure when loading the brush it'll lose 2 or 3 hairs, but the way it creates lather and the face feel are second to none.
Bill