Good brush under $30?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Gatorade

Good brush under $30?

Post by Gatorade »

I need help. I am looking for a good brush under $30. Can be from a store if they have a Miami location. Can be second hand if someone has one to sell.

I have an old brush that between the 12 or so moves while in college and after has developed a flop/leaning shape to it. I would shave and leave the brush in the mug and over time it developed a flat spot. It was a fairly cheap gift set from Banana Republic back in the 80's so I have no doubt that the brush would flop even without the abuse I subjected it to but that is neither here nor there.

Here is my thing. The reason I have been getting into SMF is because I have been put off by the cost of shaving cartridges for my Quattro. I am looking for a good cheap brush. I understand about a brush being custom made and of the exact specs for a user but I have no idea what I would need and I also can't see spending more money on a brush than I would spend on diapers for both my daughters for two months! I am sure I will eventually have a "must have" kit in the future but for right now I need to keep it cheap. Any help appreciated!

After I posted this I noticed a similar post just a few down that I didn't see before I posted. I guess this is something a lot of people new to the "obsession" or who just want something that will work well without spending an arm and a leg. Sorry if it seems repetative.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

gator: let some guys weigh in. this will come up to the top of recent posts, and they will see my reply. i will submit some of these

go to www.qedusa.com. they have some saville row brushes. made by shavemac or said to be. rebranded as saville row. more of a light bulb shape, not given to splaying. best or super badger is a matter of preference.

go to www.classicshaving.com. they have vulfix brushes. maybe a little lower in costs. qed used to have rebranded vulfixes and they were a few dollars cheaper. you can see if qed has any old vulfix-saville rows not pictured and ask how much

say in this post that you welcome private messages about brushes for sale or to try out. oh, i forgot one. a seller named medic wood has some custom brushes for about $75. not a bad deal but you may want to wait.

and crabtree and evelyn has some edwin jaegger made brushes in best or super brushes at very good prices.

sam
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Sam wrote:gator: let some guys weigh in. this will come up to the top of recent posts, and they will see my reply. i will submit some of these

go to www.qedusa.com. they have some saville row brushes. made by shavemac or said to be. rebranded as saville row. more of a light bulb shape, not given to splaying. best or super badger is a matter of preference.

go to www.classicshaving.com. they have vulfix brushes. maybe a little lower in costs. qed used to have rebranded vulfixes and they were a few dollars cheaper. you can see if qed has any old vulfix-saville rows not pictured and ask how much

say in this post that you welcome private messages about brushes for sale or to try out. oh, i forgot one. a seller named medic wood has some custom brushes for about $75. not a bad deal but you may want to wait.

and crabtree and evelyn has some edwin jaegger made brushes in best or super brushes at very good prices.

sam
I will give it time and will keep an eye out. :wink:

With the samples coming soon I was thinking that my brush may be part of the problem and didn't want to run into the same thing again with something I know is good quality.

I didn't post it on FPN but I found the email for Taylor Old Bond and sent them the same Email as the others.
--Charlie

Duct Tape
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

well, let me posit this to you. a good best badger crabtree and evelyn brush, on the smaller side, will run about $35. you will get to feel it and touch it. it can then be a travel brush as you get the jones for a bigger or fancier one. might even be able to get almost full value in a trade for say a cream and soap. or cologne. the badger brush at CE is a good one - i had one for 3 years or so. just like pens, you will want more than one. i have three, a good number for me, and they are not all that expensive, but moreso than the CE (in the $100 to $150 range). i am jonesing for a plisson i think same as with an opera club visconti.

troll some as well. you may get some pms about letting you use one to try out. id offer, but one of my brushes is away at the moment.

sam
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I think one of the smaller (4") Omega boar brushes is a good way to go. True, one generally wants to move up to a badger brush at some point, but if price is an issue, the Omega boar brushes are top quality, generally cost around $12, and work really well. They're especially good for hard soaps in mugs. Even if you do move up, you'll probably want to keep an Omega in your stable of brushes.

Dave
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

here is a post from a similar thread:

While I too am still a newbie and not nearly as knowledgeable as these guys, I would still like to offer a suggestion. I know that many regard Art of Shaving products with disdain, but they do offer a starter set that includes a pure badger brush, and good size sample of cream, A/S balm, and pre-shave oil. I got mine for $38 at Nordstrom’s and I am still very happy with my brush.
obsessis

Post by obsessis »

get the crabtree & evelyn best small badger brush for $35. it is a good brush for a good price.
joseph
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Thanks for the replies. There is a C&E not too far from where I live so I will check it out. I just always thought of that place as the girly store! :shock: Wife would go there and I would have the urge to cook a steak over a fire and watch football. :lol: I guess I was thinking of a Gentlemans store like an old barber shop with mahogany, leather, and brass fixtures. Which isn't arround here. I guess I will keep a more open mind about this stuff! :lol:
--Charlie

Duct Tape
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Gatorade wrote:Thanks for the replies. There is a C&E not too far from where I live so I will check it out. I just always thought of that place as the girly store! :shock: Wife would go there and I would have the urge to cook a steak over a fire and watch football. :lol: I guess I was thinking of a Gentlemans store like an old barber shop with mahogany, leather, and brass fixtures. Which isn't arround here. I guess I will keep a more open mind about this stuff! :lol:
I'm far from an expert, but I did recently (last Saturday) buy a C&E $35 best badger brush. I love it.
Another super inexpensive option is the Tweezerman brush, for (I think) around ten clams.
Based on nothing but my own anecdotal evidence, I'd say the C&E is the better deal, albeit the pricier one.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Ichabod wrote:Based on nothing but my own anecdotal evidence, I'd say the C&E is the better deal, albeit the pricier one.
See I don't have a problem paying $35 for a brush that is noticibly better than a $10 brush. However Paying $100 more for something that I don't know if it will be THAT much better is where I draw the line.
--Charlie

Duct Tape
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

gator: from the last post, i see no downside on you going to crabtree and evelyn and seeing the brush for yourself. it was my first badger brush and seeing it in person only convinced me. occassionally guys post about the online sale of CE and sometimes they have 20% coupons. you can always ask in the store if they do and maybe they will give you a deal? also you can get some samples of their creams and they are generously sized.

other than that, the saville row brushes and even vulfix brushes are value brushes and tend to be cheaper than the shavemacs. i prefer the shavemacs myself over those two brands. but the crabtree is a smaller investment until you read up here more, and decide what characteristics you prefer. kinda how i approached my charleston pen, that i sold and got the bexley. the charleston provided a frame of reference and now i could compare written descriptions of the bexley to it.

sam
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Sam wrote:gator: from the last post, i see no downside on you going to crabtree and evelyn and seeing the brush for yourself. it was my first badger brush and seeing it in person only convinced me. occassionally guys post about the online sale of CE and sometimes they have 20% coupons. you can always ask in the store if they do and maybe they will give you a deal? also you can get some samples of their creams and they are generously sized.

other than that, the saville row brushes and even vulfix brushes are value brushes and tend to be cheaper than the shavemacs. i prefer the shavemacs myself over those two brands. but the crabtree is a smaller investment until you read up here more, and decide what characteristics you prefer. kinda how i approached my charleston pen, that i sold and got the bexley. the charleston provided a frame of reference and now i could compare written descriptions of the bexley to it.

sam
My thoughts exactly. Did you see the last post on FPN about Taylor Old Bond?
--Charlie

Duct Tape
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i did. heck, id send you my whole tub of rose taylors cream for a visconti, lol

i got sample from them but it was about 19 months ago or so. maybe someone can comment if taylor samples can be obtained. if you wanted to spend a few dollars, QED would send you some or maybe toss in a couple to try if you asked with a purchase. maybe some guys here can help you with a particular scent if you ask

sam
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Sam wrote:i did. heck, id send you my whole tub of rose taylors cream for a visconti, lol

i got sample from them but it was about 19 months ago or so. maybe someone can comment if taylor samples can be obtained. if you wanted to spend a few dollars, QED would send you some or maybe toss in a couple to try if you asked with a purchase. maybe some guys here can help you with a particular scent if you ask

sam
I think I will be fine the samples coming from the other two establishments, I am also going to check the C&E brush and if I buy then sample some creams from there as well. I will post in both forums the entire noobie review!
--Charlie

Duct Tape
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Gatorade wrote:
Ichabod wrote:Based on nothing but my own anecdotal evidence, I'd say the C&E is the better deal, albeit the pricier one.
See I don't have a problem paying $35 for a brush that is noticibly better than a $10 brush. However Paying $100 more for something that I don't know if it will be THAT much better is where I draw the line.
My thoughts exactly. There may well come a time when I can discuss brushes with the knowledge of aficionados like Gordon, Nathan et al. For now, that time is not here. Much to the relief of my bank balance...
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
cola

Post by cola »

When I got started I bought a mystery brush from MenEssentials. (I call it a "mystery brush" because I have no idea who made it -- someone told me Merkur, but I seem to recall the box saying it was made in Britain.) Right now it's $32, though I think I spent $30 when I bought it. I've been extremely happy with it, though I've never tried any other brush so I have no basis for comparison.

For what it's worth....
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

There are plenty of good badger hair brushes available - and you don't have to spend a ton of $$ either. The MenEssentials Mystery Brush is a good case in poin as is the Crabtree & Evelyn product. I have had the CT&E brush in my hand & it's really quite good. I received a good quality badger hair brush from my wife when we were visiting family in the UK last year and it made a huge difference to the shaving experience for me.

jww