how well do you work the water out of your brush?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
obsessis

how well do you work the water out of your brush?

Post by obsessis »

i usually just squeeze it together and push out the water through the top of the brush. i thought this did an OK job but my brush is tinted reddish on the tips from trumper creams and i think maybe I didn't work enough of the water out?

how do you do it?
joseph
DoubleE

Post by DoubleE »

Joseph:

I step over to the tub and really give it a quite a few good shakes. (Make sure you have a good grip on it) After around 8 to 10 shakes, I can no longer hear water hitting the tub, then I either stand it up or hang it in a stand. It dries very quickly with this technique.

Jerry
xChris

Post by xChris »

I use pretty much the same technique as just explained.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Ditto on the DoubleE shake in the bathtub. Keeps the mirror drier...
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Same as Jerry - but with an additional quick, light back & forth on a clean towel.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

obsessis - you are talking about after you're finished and you're putting the brush away, right?

I do several shakes similar to shaking down a mercury thermometer, and over the tub seems to work better (as others have already said).
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

I dont ever 'pull' out the water. I dont like the idea of pulling on the hair. I also shake out the water until I dont feel, see or hear anymore water coming out. Then I gently buff it on a hanging towel. It should look almost dry when your done.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

im like ravi, i use the towel as well. and i will squeeze lather up from the bottom to get it all out for a pass, but i dont squeeze hard
s
am
vontech

Post by vontech »

The shake until dry over the tub method works great for me on my Shavemac 220 -- and I can watch the brush bloom as I do it.
-- Tom

"Used to be" a SHAVEGEEK, now recovered (sob!)
SupaDongzu

Post by SupaDongzu »

When I turn on the cold tap after my third pass, I go into cleanup mode. First I splash cold water onto my face for cool-down. Then I run cold water into my mug and mash and drain with the brush until the water runs clear. Then I hold the brush under the cold water for a while as I inspect for remnants of lather on my face, which I sometimes paint off with the wet brush and rinse some more.

Then I shake it seven or eight times into the sink, and mash it into a towel to soak off the damp. I do this as if I were making towel-lather, rubbing and twisting. Then I hang it bristles-down in my cheap $2 plastic stand.

I am a little puzzled by the folks who fear that their brushes will fall apart. I lost a few hairs when I first got my brush, but I haven't seen any fall out in the six months since. I have a Vulfix 2235, and it is well-made and doesn't seem to suffer from rough treatment. After all, I give it a good mashing into my hard soaps, mug, and then my face. What difference does mashing it into a towel make?

I know that folks who got the original SMF brush reported chipping and lost hairs, so that may be the reason for all the caution. But really, my Vulfix takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!
"If, as they say, God spanked the town
for being over frisky,
why did He burn the churches down
and save Hotaling's whisky?"
-- San Francisco Earthquake rhyme, 1906
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

When you get your brush this dry in the first place, the stand is certainly not necessary. But use it if you like it.

As far as rough treatment, the bristles on the SMF brush are as good as any. But it is possible to nick the wood, which you would not want to do too much.
javyn

Post by javyn »

I do the same but instead of the tub I shake it over the bathroom floor mat. I think it feels cool stepping on all those little droplets of water. I also lightly buff my SMFII against the towel, although I probably don't need to. It seems pretty dry after flicking it. I buff the hell out of my pure badger and especially my Omega boar though.
John
ShavetheBadger

Post by ShavetheBadger »

I also use the shake method to dry my brush.

Perhaps though, the problem could be that the brush was not rinsed well enough to begin with. If you are having discoloration, the cream (or dye) is staying in the bristles.

How do you rinse your brush?

I place the brush in a stream of cool water and pump the bristles like a blood pressure bulb. Usually about 10 pumps (allowing the brush to become fully saturated in between pumps) will clear out any soap residue. I've never used heavily dyed soaps or creams, so I con't say for sure, but getting all the soap out would obviously help, right?

Matt
Has anyone here actually tried to shave a badger? It's more difficult than you would think.

Check out Thomas Anthony Company shaving brushes.
SupaDongzu

Post by SupaDongzu »

ShavetheBadger wrote:Perhaps though, the problem could be that the brush was not rinsed well enough to begin with. If you are having discoloration, the cream (or dye) is staying in the bristles.

How do you rinse your brush?
Yeah, I noticed dye left on my brush after a load of Taylor's Lavender that I mixed a little rich. That's why I now "mix a blank" with cold water to rinse. I'm more worried about soap residue buildup at the knot than I am with discoloration, really, but this helps for both.
"If, as they say, God spanked the town
for being over frisky,
why did He burn the churches down
and save Hotaling's whisky?"
-- San Francisco Earthquake rhyme, 1906
obsessis

Post by obsessis »

i was thinking i might not be rinsing it out enough, but i wash it out a lot with water and work water through the bristles. i'll start washing it out twice as much.
joseph