How does a silver tip feel

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Seanydizzle

How does a silver tip feel

Post by Seanydizzle »

I have a pure badger brush and while its relatively soft when the tips of the hairs press against my face when I bring it to my face it causes a bit of irritation. After I shave i still have that feeling of the hairs pressing against skin and it is almost prickly. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone but I wan't to know if the ends of super badger brushes are soft that they would not cause any discomfort when pressed against the face. I'd appreciate some opinions.

sean
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sean, I agree with Joel. If you want softness, coupled with top quality construction, it's the Kent BK range, or the Vulfix Super Badger brushes, although some of the top German made brushes are very soft also. You definately do NOT want genuine silvertip. I have two silvertip brushes, one is a Plisson, and the other is an English made brush. Both have stiff bristle, and when new, both had a noticeable 'bite' to the brush tip. This largely fades away as the brush is repeatedly used, but not entirely. My Best Badger brush is 'softer' then either of the silvertips. Regards, Gordon
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Silvertip is ultrasoft! It is truely luxurious!
theFallingoFF

Post by theFallingoFF »

I have a pure badger and I just started using boiling water and it softens the brush like you wouldn't believe. I can't wait to see how it that fairs with a silvertip.

--Ant
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ant, It'll probably 'soften' it up somewhat. I remember Vince posting about using a kettle, and how the super hot water changed how his Simpson Polo silvertip felt and behaved, to some extent. Make no mistake though, real silvertip is NOT a 'soft', 'mushy', flexible style of bristle. Not at all. Regards, Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

I agree with Gordon, but also with Joel. I agree with Joel regarding the Kent BK line, which is in what they call "Super." It is very soft, and is a highly recommendable option for one who is looking for the softest hair possible. However, we get into a gray area when we are asking generally how silvertip should feel. I have a Simpson Chubby 3 Super, the hair on which better fits the visual descriptiveness of the term silvertip (black in the center, creamy white on the tips), and it is decidedly stiffer than the hair on my BK8. Therefore, I side with Gordon that the Super used in a Kent is not true silvertip. This does not mean it is bad; quite the contrary. I have absolutely no qualms about recommending a BK8 to anyone. I certainly love mine.