POLLARO Brush, the most elegant brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
davidzh

POLLARO Brush, the most elegant brush

Post by davidzh »

From all the brushes I have seen so far, I believe that the Pollaro is the most elegant. A work of art. Why is it that it is hardly mentioned by any of you conoissars? Also, the shape of the handle is different from any other model. Is it a practicle shape? Are there any other makes, in a reasonable price range that look like the Pollaro??

I am intrigued.

David
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

You mean like the one in my SOTD?

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, I can only speak for myself. I never found that brush attractive, nor does it look to be especially effective to me, from the photos. It's got a great deal of loft, while having a relatively small knot, and that's a combination that I'm personally, not fond of. The badger bristle seems to be some variety of grey, and for the price asked, that's unacceptable to me. As you can see from Randy's photo, the first special order SMF group brush looked strikingly similiar, and cost group members a bit over $100. I was one of the few 'regulars' who did not order one, even at that price.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If you can find someone here who wants to part with their SMF brush, that would be the way to go. Occasionally one may come up for sale - though it seems most of the guys who bought one and decided it wasn't for them, have already sold them.

With the actual Pollaro brush, you don't know much about the hair you're getting - it seems to be all about the beautiful wood. On the other hand, if I bought a beautiful wood-handled brush for five hundred bucks, I probably wouldn't be able to bring myself to shave with it.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I should have known I couldn't fool the Duke of Silvertip!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
davidzh

Post by davidzh »

What you all say makes sense. those of you who have the SMF1, did you find the handle comfortable?
And then, any other brush maker who offers a similar shape?

David
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Superior Brushes can make you a brush in any shape. It won't be made of wood, but they can get the shape and it will be pretty inexpensive.
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

David,

I have been using my SMF brush since it arrived over half a year ago, never had a hair fall out, and the handle is as comfortable as can be. But I would say for your money go with shavemac or for less than 550 i would think that bernd could make something that you would love.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.